Default What do these old combs tell you?

I obtained a bunch of free hive equipment this weekend with the added bonus of one box filled with bees. So far I've frozen all the comb and power washed the mediums, lids, bases, etc. I will be torching and painting that stuff too. I did get some really, really old comb which I'm pretty sure I will need to trash and then other that looks fine so not sure what I'll do with those yet.

I thought it would be fun to post some of the funky comb and get your opinions on what you think some of this stuff is. I have my guesses but this is my first year and I've never seen this before. So please; what do these old combs tell you?

Photo one, equipment score:

OldEquipment.jpg

Old Cruddy Combs:
    oldcomb3.jpgoldcomb1.jpgoldcomb2-moths.jpg

Pretty cool comb:
    OldComb5.jpg

Thumbs Up Re: What do these old combs tell you?

Looks like wax moth cocoons and webs....A wax moth in one of the pictures too. Wax moths probably moved in when the bees were either weak or gone. Do the frames contain wax foundation or plastic foundation -I see at least one plastic foundation? If its plastic, you may be able to scrape a lot of that old comb away and use the frame and foundation again. The bees will do a lot of cleaning of comb like that....Its a personal call, I don't know the point that you would say yes or no to a new foundation, but I see some that could go either way (less risk of new foundation when in doubt). HTH
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Default Re: What do these old combs tell you?

Some of the palstic foundation can be rebuilt by the bees save that stuff. The other dark drone/wall combs can be thrown away
    AKA BEEMAN800

scrape it off and render the wax. In the pic of the old equipment, is that a West Beetle trap on the right? -js

As the current bee mania fizzles out we will be hearing a lot more stories like this.

HTML Code:
    scrape it off and render the wax. In the pic of the old equipment, is that a West Beetle trap on the right? -js
    Do you mean the last picture? I believe it is a queen cell (there is just a wire behind it).

No, I meant the first pic. But I meant Freeman Beetle trap, not West. -james

No, no traps. I think that is a screened bottom board. I did get a pretty cool piece of equipment I've never seen before..it is plastic and creates round comb. I guess so you can harvest whole pieces round. I may try it next year after a clean up...It needs to be soaked in clorax water for a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    As the current bee mania fizzles out...
    Is this a yearly cycle or are you talking longer term?
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

I 'think' what he is referring to is the fact that there is alot of media right now about bees and the danger they are in. All of the sudden it is 'cool' to be raising bees and many, many people are getting hives without realizing how much education and work goes into successfully raising bees. In my area there are many, many new beekeepers at the monthly meetings and the old timers say they've never seen so much interest before. One of my classes was a split class using hives 2 - 3 years old that were untouched because the owner got into bees and lost interest. The equipment I just picked up was from a foreclosure situation. At least that is what I assume he is referring too....

That would be my guess too. But it never hurts to ask for clarification. I was recently given a full 8 frame hive setup, complete with one of those $60 copper clad lids. I figured I could add 8-frame to my experiential repertoire.

Nobody is helping the bees. But that's a discussion for another day.

I see wax moths and an old queen cell.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Quote Originally Posted by dixiebooks View Post
    No, I meant the first pic. But I meant Freeman Beetle trap, not West. -james
    That's a Country Rubes bottom board.

Quote Originally Posted by CaBees View Post
    No, no traps. I think that is a screened bottom board. I did get a pretty cool piece of equipment I've never seen before..it is plastic and creates round comb. I guess so you can harvest whole pieces round. I may try it next year after a clean up...It needs to be soaked in clorax water for a bit!
    Those are called Ross Rounds. Google it and you will see how they work! I have some that my Dad left me but I have not tried them yet, I think I'll clean them up and try them out next year. Cool find.
    -Bonny.
    "If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive."
    -Dale Carnegie.

thanks! All good information! I appreciate it!