Default Bees capping honey in undrawn foundation

In case you didn't read that correctly, what I mean is this....my bees are capping honey in foundation that hasn't been drawn out yet. I'm only in my second year of beekeeping so I don't have any drawn out foundation in my supers. The bees put little dabs of nectar ( I'm assuming) in the cells and capped it over. Funniest thing I ever saw.

Can anybody tell me if there's anything I should do about this? My plan is to just leave them alone and hope that they get a little more ambitious and actually build the cells out. I have plastic with wax coating on wooden frames.

Default Re: Bees capping honey in undrawn foundation

Can you post a picture of that? I've never seen that before.

Adam

Janer, I found the same thing in some of my hives a couple of years ago. I dont know what caused it but I haven't seen it since.

Dave

Highly irregular. They generally do not cap any cells of cured honey at less than brood-rearing depth - about a half inch. Since their late winter expansion format calls for rearing brood in honey cells, and they don't have wax-making capability at that time, partial cells of honey can stay open indefinately. But it's fair game for consumption or moving to where it is needed.

Walt

I'll don my suit and get a photo or two this morning.

https://picasaweb.google.com/JaneSch...pectionJuly10#

Here are a few photos of my situation. As I got into the middle deep I found that I had more than a honey storage problem.....it appears that I'm queenless. Any advice on what might be going on here? I've been absent from my house the majority of the last three weeks due to a hospice situation with my mother-in-law, so the hive inspections have taken a back burner. They might have swarmed, who knows? I'm going to leave them to their own solutions at this point.
    Thanks in advance...

There might be a virgin queen in there, so it makes sense to wait and see if there are eggs/brood in a week or two. I've heard that bees don't like the plastic foundation. Wonder if your hive's behavior is a sign of that.

Seen any queencells? Why do you think you're queenless? Didn't see eggs or young brood?

We see at least 2 queen cells in teardown. Karen's suggestion to give it some time is valid.
    Walt

Thanks everyone. The reason I think it's queenless is because of the lack of brood or eggs and the many queen cells. "Teardown" is a new term for me, so I'm learning something additional from your comments. I'll back off from further inspections for two weeks and then see how they're doing.

Here's a shot in the dark with no basis haha - with many places experiencing a drought I wonder if the bees are putting nectar in the foundation to ripen and they're not getting enough new nectar to fill cells with honey. Seems like they would move it and just cap a few cells of honey instead, though. They may just feel like they need to cap it even though there isn't enough so it wont crystallize.