Default Making up new deep hive frames, questioning using fishing line instead of wire?

Mainly, looking at the cost of wire versus fishing line. Since they won’t be going through an extractor and I want to replace the frames out every couple of years, the fishing line sounds appropriate. What is your opinion?

Default Re: Making up new deep hive frames, questioning using fishing line instead of wire?

I have been using 30 lb test for a couple years now...

Default Re: Making up new deep hive frames, questioning using fishing line instead of wire?

No issues? I really can't forsee any.

I have also been using fishingline and it is great when you cut out comb to chrush and strain or pressing or queen cells and it is perfectly safe to put in an extractor ,I lay the line double in a loop and run it trough the holes for the vire it is fastened with a paperpin and a couple of halfhitch knot, insert the foundation between so it stayes where it should
    Only issue i have had is some frames that i put in to thin a line and the bees chew through those

I remember a fellow ... probably the first "foundationless" person I'd met ... who made slight cuts at regular intervals on the horizontal and vertical sections using a coping saw, then wrapped 30-pound test fishing line in a double-diamond shaped pattern through the center of the frame. (As I recall, the line criss-crossed from one side of the frame to the other.) He tied it firmly with the small knots that any good fisherman uses. And ... it seemed to work great.

Lately, I've been wondering if that same idea could be applied to a hTBH bar, even if it simply consisted of a free-hanging perhaps double loop or loops of fishing line, the idea being that the bees would probably naturally incorporate it into their comb. (Maybe with a very tiny non-lead fishing weight or two?)

Check out the Fat Bee Man YouTube video. I think he said he uses 20 lb. And some of his students use 8 lb. I believe he uses grooved top and bottom bars. Slotted will let it fall out. It makes a lot of sense to me if you recycle your wax, or if you are cutting comb (pull fishing line out before cutting for packaging). :-D
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

I've been using 30# mono to secure the foundation in my deeps with good results. Only 1 frame out of 150 or so has been chewed. They generally build up around the line and incorporate it into the comb. I like the potential of cutting out queen cells for increases without worrying about the wires.

Follow up question for those with mono experience. Do you put the re-enforcement eyelets in in the frame ends like you would with wire?
    Thanks in advance.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Quote Originally Posted by mrobinson View Post
    Lately, I've been wondering if that same idea could be applied to a hTBH bar, even if it simply consisted of a free-hanging perhaps double loop or loops of fishing line, the idea being that the bees would probably naturally incorporate it into their comb. (Maybe with a very tiny non-lead fishing weight or two?)
    Along those lines I also saw one where on a TBH they cut grooves in the bar at the end of the guides and used a 1/2" strip of 1/8" plywood for a guide loop for the bottom of the comb. Easy to remove at harvest, but no weight support, I guess. No idea how well it works, but creative...
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Hmmm, I just made a few up using fine mono flytying thread. I think it's like 1.98 for 100 yards but it's under 2lb probably. I didn't think bees could chew through it but doesn't really matter at this point, I use slotted frames, foundation sits in pretty good and the bees have already bonded the tops and bottoms in. I'll see how they draw them out pretty quickly here. A couple went into the brood nest so they might be drawn out already.