Default Carniolans and Italian bee question?

I purchased two packages in early May of mixed Italian and Carniolans bees local that where transported from GA. Since I'm new at this, I thought this might be a common practice. I'm pretty sure they where mixed together when I installed both packages. I have two hives about 5 feet apart and since we have been going thru a heat wave down here the bee have been bearding quite often. Looks to me like all the Italians with yellow and brown strips and Carniolans with dark grey strips seem to donimate there own hive now. Would the bees drift to be with their kind or is my imagination getting the better of me? I'm pretty sure both queens where Italian when installed. Just courious if anyone else has experinance this?

Default Re: Carniolans and Italian bee question?

GA to NC is no major deal . GA to WI is . How many box's high ? Entrance reduced until pack has enough bees to guard . Bearding bees are lazy , why aren't you rowing ? Add a box or add some air flow . On the same thought , a strong hive is a healthy hive . Bees sun bathing or working ? I add on and let them work out the middle . Vertical excluders any body ?

Any worker bees that you bought in May will have died by now. You are seeing the offspring of the queens in the colonies. There is a lot of variation in bee color due to breeders selecting for survivability, I dont think color is a high priority.

I have 2 hives of packaged Italians started in May and 2 hives of nuc'd Russians started in June. All are doing awesome and are strong. They start bearding around 4:00 PM and by 8:00 PM have grown a lot. I'm right down the street from you and have been "enjoying" these 100 degree days probably as much as you have. My hives are in full sun, screened bottoms, upper entrances (although the guard bees keep them closed up) and I've shimmed my garden tops up about 1/8". Did a full inspection on all 4 yesterday and have plenty of brood and honey stores. They are still bringing in pollen and nectar, although I can't imagine from where. All in all...I am pleased.
    IMG_0404.jpg

They must be lazy bees, but I do plan on adding another super on each hive tomorrow. I have two med supers on each hive right now. Screen bottom board, no entrance reducer and a top entrance. What is rowing? When I inspected the hive last week the top super was about 75% built out and both look healthy with eggs, brood and honey. Bees are in and out all morning working until late afternoon, then they beard.

The comment that the package bees have died off makes sense and the queen has established her own conley. They are definiatly two different type of bees in each, which I think is a good thing. Appriciated all your feedback.