Default Bees with plenty of space swarm?

Are there other reasons for swarming besides cramped space?
    I'm pretty good about supering, if anything leaving more space than is ideal. I just keep getting swarms this year. And have several strains of bees so it isn't a specific inbred or poorly bred line here- all my bees (italian, russian, carnies),
    Thanks.

Default Re: Bees with plenty of space swarm?

Throwing supers on isn't the best way to prevent swarming. You need to look at the brood space the hive is wanting to utilize and manage it as such. You have to see how much back filling is going on and how many frames in your brood boxes are pure stores. If 50% of your hive bodies are stores throwing a super on top of the pile doesn't really help them. You need to move the stores up and give them new foundation or frames to pull to keep the nurse bees busy and generate more usable brood space for the queen to lay in or checkerboard the brood space with a new brood box.

On top of that, queen age plays an important roll and overall size and health of the colony. Healthy strong bees swarm, it's their instict. You're doing something right in that regard.

My bees (caniolans) were split in the middle of May and have mostly swarmed since with lots of room. I don't know if it was the year or the nature of the beast. I am pretty ashamed of my performance here.

You have a lot of company with the swarm problem this year. From my experience this season, nothing is working! Just a lot of swarms! Remember, Bees want to swarm, its their nature. I also think that part of the cost of "Mite resistant Bees" might in increased tendancy to swarm.

Splits can give increase and reduce the tendency to swarm, but ... "honeybees ... swarm." You might have to squelch that outright if you live in an urban small-yard, but if that's not a concern, well, I've heard people express the opinion that a hive that is capable of swarming is a strong hive, and that swarming makes the remaining hive stronger than before.