Hybrid View

Default Strange findings

I have one hive that is doing amazing work. I have gotten all of the frames out of the hive that had foundation except one. Strange thing is, I needed to help with crowding and supplement another hive on Saturday...so I inspected the hive and removed four frames of brood and bees.
    During the inspection, I found he usual honey and pollen frames in both upper and lower HB's with six frames that they use for brood. Anyway, all of the frames had brood in them other than one...It was the last frame with foundation!?? Go figure?

I am just wondering if I happened to catch it at the time when all of the bees had emerged, or is the queen not liking the size of the cells.

My next inspection...if it is still empty, I will remove it for good and use it in a nuc or something.
    "You have to put down the ducky if you wanna play the Saxophone!" Mr .Hoot

Default Re: Strange findings

Interesting information, you didn't say what kind of foundation....

I wouldn't be led to believe that the queen has anything to do with it. She is not the queen of anything, she's merely a sexually mature honeybee, the lone member of a caste, one of three such castes in a colony.

I would be more interested to hear in what position this frame was in. Was it in the center of the broodnest, or at the outer edge? If it is in the center, you may be on to something, however, if it is at the edge, it's not abnormal.

Also, your bees in your area may have largely shut down brooding this time of year, it would depend on the breed and the conditions. Many of mine shut the broodnest down to the size of a soccer ball or less during the hottest part of the summer. Your bees may be in the process, or they may be building back up, again, I don't know your conditions.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

FYI, the frame was in the top HB, it was 4th from the right while standing behind the hive. There was brood in the frames both sides of the frames with foundation.
    The foundation type was from Dadant...It is called "Medium Brood" Here is the add description: The Original 100% Pure Beeswax Foundation. Our lowest priced Foundation. Unre-inforced, precision milled, pure beeswax sheet. Precise Even Milled Worker Sized Deep Walled Cells. I still use this foundation as starter strips (about 1/2 inch hanging below the top bar)

As far as shutting down brood nest, there were 11 other frames of brood...completely full. All of my hives are still making bees. They are capping brood like there is no tomorrow. This particular hive has made bees like crazy...check out this description in another forum http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-My-poor-queen

I just am not sure about the foundation versus natural cell size..It does seem odd that this is the only frame without brood.

That is interesting, how old is this frame? In what condition is it? Has it been in the hive when the hive was treated previously?

someone stole your bees....

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    That is interesting, how old is this frame? In what condition is it? Has it been in the hive when the hive was treated previously?
    The frame was bought new in March of 2012 from Miller Bee Supply. I Assembled the frame a few days before installing the package on Mar 17. This hive nor any other hive I have ever owned has ever been treated with anything. The wax is now a medium brown color...As stated, it was drawn out from foundation in Mar of this year. The wax does not look unhealthy or have any visible signs of anything wrong with it.

I was just hoping that since all of the frames in the hive are now of natural size...Maybe the queen just did not like the feel of it any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldprospector View Post
    I was just hoping that since all of the frames in the hive are now of natural size...Maybe the queen just did not like the feel of it any longer.
    What is natural size in your area? Have you measured? Just because they built it doesn't mean it's natural size. Furthermore, natural size encompasses such a range that no single size can be said to be 'natural size.'

The queen didn't have anything to do with it. She lays eggs where cells are prepared. She is not the queen of anything. She does not make decisions.