Default Pigeon Mountain Two Frame Extractor

My experience with the Pigeon Mountain 2-Frame Extractor #PM9306.

When I received it, the paper wrapping the stand support and legs stuck to the parts because the paint was not dry when they were wrapped with paper.

Two support legs had to have the holes elongated by drilling and filing in order to get the holes to line up before the bolts would go through the holes to attach the legs. Apparently the holes were not drilled using a fixture because it was obvious the distance of the holes from the ends of the legs were not the same distance.

I cut my arm and hand during the initial cleaning of the internal basket. Edges of the vertical sheet metal basket, ends that support the frames, were not rounded or deburred after they were cut. The sharp edge, similar to a razor blade, caused fairly deep cuts, before I recognized the blood dripping. I had to disassemble and remove the basket to file all the edges down.

The hole for the bolt that helps to position the plexiglass lid was mis-drilled which required them to use a washer to prevent the correctly redrilled hole from breaking out due to the small distance between the holes.

A frame support wire weld joint failed after extracting 4-frames of honey. The person doing the welding either did not understand how to weld or was in such a hurry they just did a very bad job of welding. No frame was ever dropped on this wire weld joint. The weight of the frame caused the weld joint to separate. I had to go through the expense of getting the weld fixed.

Default Re: Pigeon Mountain Two Frame Extractor

This is exactly why I'm tossing around the idea of building my own extractor. It is hard to find good quality in something without paying an arm and a leg. Thanks for the review.

I'm very sorry to hear that. I must of had better luck because I ordered the Two Frame Extra Tall Honey Extractor SKU: PM9305. It's build exceptionally well and is very sturdy. Never could of asked for better. Sorry about yours, though, what a poor example of quality and good-service. I'll think twice before ordering from them again.

Here is the two medium frame, radial extractor I made. So far it has extracted about 6 gallons. Works well (on plasticell foundation frames) and didn't cost much. It is a little tedious to carefully control the variable speed drill as you slowly spin it up and then to lift the drill off to let it free wheel spin down. That Milwaukee drill is too heavy duty and powerful for this use but I didn't have a smaller one with continuous speed variation.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/Michael...48466836329250

Quote Originally Posted by ddowns View Post
    My experience with the Pigeon Mountain 2-Frame Extractor #PM9306.

When I received it, the paper wrapping the stand support and legs stuck to the parts because the paint was not dry when they were wrapped with paper.

Two support legs had to have the holes elongated by drilling and filing in order to get the holes to line up before the bolts would go through the holes to attach the legs. Apparently the holes were not drilled using a fixture because it was obvious the distance of the holes from the ends of the legs were not the same distance.

I cut my arm and hand during the initial cleaning of the internal basket. Edges of the vertical sheet metal basket, ends that support the frames, were not rounded or deburred after they were cut. The sharp edge, similar to a razor blade, caused fairly deep cuts, before I recognized the blood dripping. I had to disassemble and remove the basket to file all the edges down.

The hole for the bolt that helps to position the plexiglass lid was mis-drilled which required them to use a washer to prevent the correctly redrilled hole from breaking out due to the small distance between the holes.

A frame support wire weld joint failed after extracting 4-frames of honey. The person doing the welding either did not understand how to weld or was in such a hurry they just did a very bad job of welding. No frame was ever dropped on this wire weld joint. The weight of the frame caused the weld joint to separate. I had to go through the expense of getting the weld fixed.
    Why don't you take pictures of the issues and send them to Pigeon Mountain. They can't improve if they are not made aware of the issues. I would also hope that they would send you a replacement unit.

Thanks for the heads up dd . If the deal is too good most likely it is no deal . I was hoping to use a keg but its about a inch shallow . I'd prefer stainless to plastic ..food grade . I'll see all my fellow steamfitters tomorrow , i might be able to snag a hunk of 20in stainless pipe or bigger . Beggers cant be to picky .

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
    Why don't you take pictures of the issues and send them to Pigeon Mountain. They can't improve if they are not made aware of the issues. I would also hope that they would send you a replacement unit.
    I sent them an email on 5/25/12. Haven't heard a word back from them yet. I also sent them pictures to point out all the poor quality issues. My safety concern was that someone could cut an artery while cleaning it due to the razor-sharp edges of the sheet metal.

Hi ddowns,

Unfortunately, I didn't see any bad remarks about this extractor and bought the same one you did. I also had the paper stuck to the paint, and now seems I have another issue. I can't get the dang thing together!
    My bolts went through the legs ok, but if I put the legs together, the extractor is too big to fit in it, by about 1 1/4"! I tried taking the legs apart and see if I could fit the ring part on the bottom and then attach the legs, but it's still too big, the bolts won't come through enough to get a nut on them..... I am thinking of going to Lowes tomorrow and see if I can find longer bolts and get it to work.... I am kinda wishin' I had spent a little more and got something better now! I just got mine today too!

Bee , if you paid with a credit card , stop the payment . That will force them to either make it right , or take it back , which sounds like it might be the more desirable solution.