Default Just when you start to think you know something

I was adding honey supers last Wednesday everything was looking good. They were plugging honey away like mad. Filled a deep and a medium in a week. I go out tonight to see if they had filled the the medium I added Wednesday to find three hives had swarmed. There is still bees but the numbers are way down. I don't get it? They have lots of room to lay. Just when I think I might be catching on something like this happens. It's frustrating!! We have had some hot weather the last 4 days, could that be it?

Also I did 8 splits in the spring. They are doing well but I can't get them to expand out. They want to go up!any suggestions?

Default Re: Just when you start to think you know something

Use the search function and look up threads about swarm control. I guess you learned the hard way that hives that swarm do not make as much surplus as hive that don't. Welcome to the real world.

Crazy Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    hives that swarm do not make as much surplus as hive that don't. Welcome to the real world.

Crazy Roland
    Thanks captain obvious! if it was the other way around my post probably would have read: "Woohoo I had 3 swarms today."

Well maybe you should assume you know less, and that the bees know more.

Captain obvious, Crazy Roland

heat was not your problem. Bees do what bees do and thats reproduce. You added supers, but did you check the hive? those swarm cells took 2 weeks to hatch. you missed them. the new queen left in the box should do fine. keep an eye on her and make a note to do better inspections.