Default Reducing hive body width?

I built 8 -frame mediums per the standard 13 3/4" width using 3/4" thick lumber. This leaves quite a bit of space between the end frames and the hive body. I have to clean out a lot of burr comb in that space almost everytime I open the hive. I need to build another body and was thinking about reducing the 13 3/4" dimension. Has anyone done this and what were the results? I can only reduce so much before it won't overlap the wider bodies.

Thanks,
    Dan

Default Re: Reducing hive body width?

I use 8 frame meds as well and wondered why there was so much room on the outside. I'm foundationless and found I had to space the frames evenly across all that space instead of just jamming them together in the middle as most prescribe.

Try this....instead of reducing the dimensions when you make it, make it to normal specs, but then add some pieces of 3/16 or 1/4 luan/hardboard on both sides of the box just to take up some space. Just tack it in place to make a thicker side and a narrower box and see how it works out. Then report back and let me know.

That's not a bad idea. I could make the spacer removable so there's room to easily extract frames during inspections. Although they will probably propolize the seam between the spacer and the body wall.

You might consider putting a slatted rack on the sides of the hive interior.
    They are reported to improve ventilation, reduce swarming, and will certainly serve to narrow the interior space.
    here is a link to a pic:
    http://doc-0c-8g-3dwarehouse.googleu...000&ctyp=other

If you make the two vertical pieces 1/4" thick and the slats 1/8" thick you reduce the space next to the end bars to 1/4" on each side, and still have standard size boxes.

be careful of building hiding places for SHB in your boxes
    Old Guy in Alabama

True 'nuff.
    I wouldn't use slat racks on the wall where hive beetle is a problem.

It's not an issue here so I tend not to think of that.
    Thanks, jrbbees.