Hybrid View

Default What size water heater to use for cowen uncapper

What is the best size water heater to use for a Cowen uncapper? I have looked at the 6 gallon and that seems to be about right. Also, does anyone have experience with what type of circulation pump would work best for this setup. I will also have a wax melter hooked up at the same time with water running through it as well.

Default Re: What size water heater to use for cowen uncapper

Cowen should be able to help you. The size is more wattage than gallonage. it might be large gallons, but low wattage(BTU).

Crazy Roland.

We used to use a pressure cooker and ran steam, then went electric.

With the Silver Queen uncapper we used a 40 gallon WH but a smaller one would work, just set the elements on max temperature. 6 gallon might be too small. You can use a small recirculating pump that's designed for home use that keeps hot water immediately available at the faucets. Plumbing supply!!! Copper pipes with pipe insulation from Home Depot.

a 40 or 50 gallon med. or tall water heater is going ot be the cheapest you can buy. Go smaller or larger and they'll cost you more. If you need a low flow gas tankless heater then Bosch makes some small ones that'll put out around 3-3.5gpm. and there not very expensive.

I built my own capping tank to go under my Cowen uncapper and it had a water jacket and installed an electric element with thermostat. I hooked up a recirculating pump and once the water reached the right temp it worked all day to uncap frames plus over night all the honey which were in the capping would drain away and could be pumped into the bulk tank, you had to turn down the temp at night so as not to over heat the honey. I now use a chain uncapper and the same tank. It is all stainlees steel.