Default 7 frames in a ten frame box?

I see that Mann Lake is selling a seven frames in a ten frame box spacer tool. Anyone tried that? What circumstance would it be used for? I like eight in a ten frame honey super.

Item HD-594, page 58 2012 February.

Default Re: 7 frames in a ten frame box?

Based on the thumbnail image of the products, the 7-frame spacer tool isn't as wide as either the 8 or 9-frame spacers. So, despite the product description stating that its for 10-frame setups, my best guess is that its actually used for 7 frames inside of 8-frame equipment. Just a guess though!

Quote Originally Posted by vermontryan View Post
    Based on the thumbnail image of the products, the 7-frame spacer tool isn't as wide as either the 8 or 9-frame spacers. So, despite the product description stating that its for 10-frame setups, my best guess is that its actually used for 7 frames inside of 8-frame equipment. Just a guess though!
    You are probably correct but their description is far from that. "Used to perfectly space frames inside your 10 frame hive body."
    Yes, based on the picture and tooth spacing that must be the answer. Plus I have never heard of that wide a spacing which would probably just be a cross comb disaster. You dudes in Vermont are very perceptive.

If you start out with ten frames and wait until they are drawn out, and then space them a little farther each time, there won't be any cross-comb.

Smile Re: 7 frames in a ten frame box?

Quote Originally Posted by westernbeekeeper View Post
    If you start out with ten frames and wait until they are drawn out, and then space them a little farther each time, there won't be any cross-comb.
    Thats what it says in the "Book" anyway.

benjamin, just curious, is managing 150 hives a full time job for you?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

"If you start out with ten frames and wait until they are drawn out, and then space them a little farther each time, there won't be any cross-comb."

That almost sounds like the voice of experience speaking. As Odfrank said, 8 drawn out frames in a 10 frame super works quite well (when there is a strong nectar flow). In my experience, 7 frames in a 10 frame box would be asking for trouble.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

We switch to 9 in a 10 frame box after it is drawn out. Might try 8 on a super but, 7 are you kidding me.

I am thinking that the 7 frame spacing tool is for an 8 frame box not a 10. If you look at the picture it is smaller then the others so it is for a 8 frame box.

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeepin...es/page58.html

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer Jim View Post
    Thats what it says in the "Book" anyway.
    You're right, and bees don't read the books. But it does work out that way most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    benjamin, just curious, is managing 150 hives a full time job for you?
    Not quite. Its about 2-3 days a week right now. Wanna be up to 400-600 hives next spring/summer, but not sure if that will happen.

I like 9 frames in 10 frame boxes on all my boxes, not just supers.

Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Alright, I just talked to a guy there at Mann Lake. He said that the 7-frame spacer is the only one they carry that is for use on an 8-frame super. He also said it cannot be used for spacing 7 frames in a 10-frame super. Hopefully this helps answer this question. By the way, great looking hive, Keth.

well odfrank i'm glad we got that issue clarified. rule # 1056.. never use just 7 frames in a 10 frame box right, westernebee...
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti