Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Should I buy used equipment?

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Mtn. Bee 
#1 ·
I am wondering if it is ok to buy used deeps and supers, excluders or if that is a bad idea because of maybe spreading disease (?) There is a pretty tempting ad I see, way cheaper than I can build them at $5 per. Just wondering what experienced beeks think.

#3 ·
I bought a pile of used equipment at a great price, but the maintenence has been horrific as I think he didn't own anything to scrape propolis. I now have two sizes of frames to keep in their right sized boxes. I wish Western Bee would have got wood ware turned out faster and I wouldn't have needed the stuff. Look very carefully.

#4 ·
I guess you can't beat the triangle ...cheap, quality, fast - pick two? Sigh. Thanks guys. The beekeeping book I have says not to buy used ever but the author also sells equipment, makes me feel slightly skeptical lol. I built my own top bar one but would like to try a Lang too if I can find all the equipment without paying so much $$$ for shipping ...

#5 ·
I just picked up a bunch of equipment for free and even with labor will be worth it to me. First power wash, freeze frames, next torch and apply paint where needed. Oh, happened to get a swarm with one of the hives. To me it is worth it and maybe not use the foundation frames or even bad looking old cones, but mediums, tops, bottoms, telescoping lids...to me it is worth it,,,

#6 ·
I wouldn't be afraid of buying it, but I'd look over as much of the comb as I could stand to to see if I can see any AFB scale. Then, if I did, I'd point it out to the seller and see if he'd come down on the price, after getting rid of the diseased stuff. Walking away at that point would be the easiest though.

#7 ·
everytime I bought used gear I bought problems. Id buy used honey extraction gear but never wood or comb. Its trouble. What dosent have AFB will either be falling apart. chocked full of pesticide residues (high winter losses), or just plain old non standard. Alas, I build or buy it new, and it's always the size and condition I want it.

#9 ·
I planning on deep frying all of my used equipment in 250 deg hot wax/gum rosin and I really don't think anything will live thru that treatment. After that the entire operation will be repeated approx every 5-6 years to keep everything sterilized.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.