Question Caught a huge swarm, now what?

Yesterday found a swarm the size of at least 2 basketballs hanging from a branch near my other 2 hives. (figured I mis-managed something). Very easy to catch, my hubbie cut the branch and at least 50% dropped into a 10 frame deep, and the rest kept marching in. I put a baggie feeder on but within 3 hours the deep box was boiling with bees.Fixed them up all nice and put a 10 frame medium on too as it is pretty hot. (still figured they were mine) This morning the outside of the hive was covered with bees and every frame was covered as well, so I put a second medium on. Checked my other hives as the new bees look lighter and bigger and I don't see any big change in population in my original 2 hives. So...what do I do next, these are all undrawn foundation in the new hive, but there are so many bees, I figured that they would swarm again if I didn't give them room? This swarm is at least as many bees as each of my other hives.

Default Re: Caught a huge swarm, now what?

Toss on half a protein patty if you happen to have one around and stand back for a hive that fills up almost by magic.

All those bees are fully gorged on honey, so they will make comb literally overnight -- in a few days they will have the deep completely drawn and be making good progress on the rest, and there will be lots of nice new eggs in a few days as well.

Watch, as they will typically replace the queen once she's laid a round of brood, and I think you should let them --- you have the old queen, after all.

Swarms are fun -- instant hive of bees. They will likely make you a bumper crop of honey next year, too.

Peter

Sounds like you have it all under control.

Peter, thanks for your quick response. I actually do have some pollen patties all made up. I will put a half on.