Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Honey Harvest And How To Get Honey From A Bee Hive

8K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  indypartridge 
#1 ·
This is Part 2 depicting how the honey is strained and bottled and shared with others.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q35ZENJa1iQ I recommend watching Episode-106- Honey Harvest And How To Get Honey From A Bee Hive – Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeqCuDMYpZY&feature=relmfu

This is the most exciting time I had putting a video together for you to watch. It’s the Honey Harvest! This is part 1 of a two part video that shows the super and 8 medium frames of honey that I took from honeybee hive A. This colony of Russian honey bees was installed in April 2011 and after 14 months of management, perseverance and patience there is honey for me to harvest for friends and family. It’s not about stealing from the bees but more about carefully observing and interacting with nature in order to help propagate the honeybee in my community and get them to thrive to the point where they have produced enough honey for human consumption.
I have taken the advice of Rusty of HoneyBeeSuite.com and Michael Bush of Bushfarms.com/bees to be a non-intrusive manager of honeybees. My bees are not medicated with artificial medicines to protect from the variety of diseases and pests in nature. Thus, the honey they have produced is not medicated. It’s a wonderful experience and the taste is one of the most special things in this world.
Watch how I cut out the honey from the frames and crush the cobs full of honey before placing them in the special straining bucket. Part 2 will depict how the honey is strained and bottled and shared with others. Stay tuned.
Special thanks goes to Linda’s Bees for showing me how easy it is to harvest honey with little cost.

Linda the beekeeper crush and strain www.youtube.com/watch?v=we28Oet6KT0&feature=player_embedded

Crush and strain system from BrushMountainBeeFarm.com
How to manage honey bees by my favorite advisers

Rusty and www.HoneyBeeSuite.com
Michael Bush and www.BushFarms.com/bees – The Practical Beekeeper

Tony Teolis of http://todolisthome.com

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi, I know I should get an extracor BUT If that isn't feasable at this time, Is there any way to harvest honey WITHOUT crushing the comb? If I uncap it on the frame, can I just let it sit upside down and drain? OR??? Thank you I really need some advice, I want to get some honey but I only have one super so I can't justify/afford the purchase of an extractor at this time and since my club will only lend out if you volunteer, which I can't, I am stuck. Thank you again! P

#5 ·
I can't justify/afford the purchase of an extractor at this time and since my club will only lend out if you volunteer, which I can't...
Have you talked to them, suggesting any alternatives? What if you planned a meeting? Or did a demonstration at a meeting? Maybe instead of donating time, you could make a monetary donation (i.e. a rental fee). Maybe someone in the club can loan you their extractor, or invite you over to extract. Be Creative.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.