Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Need Better Idea for Filtering Honey

Florida is the only state that currently has standards for honey so far as I know, and it is illegal to filter out the pollen unless you label the honey as "processed food" or something like that. "Pure honey" has to be traceable to origin, hence the requirement for pollen. Otherwise it's fairly easy to mix a small aount of honey with HFCS and sell is as "honey".

Peter

I am a new beek but helped a much experienced beek recently extract honey from 4.5 supers. This is a small business for her and she sells her honey in local stores and it is delicious. The way she does it is this: after decapping frames she uses a 20 frame radial extractor (don't know what brand) she places a 5 gallon bucket with a paint strainer in it and the stainless steel honey strainer on top of that under the gate of the extractor. As the honey gets extracted it filters through the ss strainer and when the bucket is as full as she wants it she closes the gate and removes the ss strainer. Then she takes the paint strainer and gathers it up and as she pulls it up the honey strains out into the bucket and she takes her hand and squeezes the strainer through her hand as she pulls up so when she is done she has a bucket full of strained and delicious honey ready to be bottled. Before she puts a lid on she will skim the top if there is any white foamy stuff but from what I saw it was very little. Then labels with date, etc. on top.
    In this way she is done extracting fairly quickly and only handled the honey once. (what I mean is she did not have to pour from bucket to bucket but rather is done once the honey is out of the extractor) She stores the bulk of her honey in these 5 gallon buckets and only bottles when needed.
    The cappings are draining honey in another container with a smaller bucket under it catching all the drippings.
    I figure she knows what she is doing since she is experienced, makes money doing it, and often enters honey contests and does well in them.
    I would guess the straining method that works best for you would depend on what method you use to extract honey. The paint strainers (cloth) can be found in any paint or hardware store and are only a couple dollars each and food grade 5 gallon buckets can be found at some Lowes or hardware stores also. Or you could get the ones that already have the gate on it for a little more at a bee supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    NewKYBee..

You are only 48 miles from me, come down sometime, and I will show you the system. Works really well.

cchoganjr
    Mr. Hogan, I am going to take you up on your offer either this fall or early, early next spring!
    Thank you ,
    Phil
    Grandchildren are the best.... Bees a close second....

Quote Originally Posted by StevenG View Post
    If you buy a settling tank, get the stainless steel screen for it too. Then take a 1x4 or 1x6, measure and cut it to make an X divider, to insert into the strainer, dividing the strainer into 4 compartments. Then use strainer cloth. As one section clogs, use another. When a cloth gets too plugged up, move it to a compartment to receive the clogged cloths from the previous three, and put new cloth in. When done, wring out, then rinse with garden hose or in sink, and reuse.
    Regards,
    Steven
    How big is your settling tank? Pictures of the x divider?
    Grandchildren are the best.... Bees a close second....

Acebird asked the best question. How do you uncap? If you scratch you will throw a lot of wax in your filters. If you plane or cut, it will be much less if any. If you scratch you are going to have to settle. Wax will fill your filters up completely, not just clog the holes.

Quote Originally Posted by New Ky Beekeeper View Post
    Sorry - I should have given more info. I uncap using a "scratching comb." I am using a 20 frame motorized extractor from Mann Lake. I am allowing the honey to exit the extractor into a 5 gallon bucket that has a double, stainless steel strainer from Walter T. Kelley. I am not, but will begin to use a settling tank. That one suggestion, I believe, will be a large step in the right direction.
    Hi i would throw away the capping's scratcher as with this method you will get alot of wax that needs to be filtered out, all i do is uncap in to a whit bin with mutton cloth lining it, then when i extract i line my bucket under the extractor and when full just hang up and let drain, seal bucket up and leave till ready to use, the bin with the cappings in i do the same, just hang up and strain/drain, no tanks needed

Look these filter bags over, many, many options. Having owned carwashes for years I became VERY familiar with filter bags. They come is many materials, and mesh sizes, most are rugged and washable.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...Faf02wWg0YHIAg

or, Google filter bags.
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

a tip for reusing the filter bags and washing strainers with wax in them...Wash in cold water. The wax comes off easy and the straining cloth lasts a very long time. After the wax is out, can wash in warm water.
    As for straining, look at the maxant honey clarifier. Add in a strainer like the one mentioned for washing vegetables to get the big stuff out.

Quote Originally Posted by New Ky Beekeeper View Post
    Sorry - I should have given more info. I uncap using a "scratching comb."
    before you invest in a settling tank, move to a heated knife to cut capings off. MUCH less capping mess to deal with in the extracted honey.

Pittsburg, [Willamson County] Illinois, USA

When your screen or filter clogs put them outside in the shade bottom up and the bees will clean the wax out. this works when thier is no honey flow. I agree with the hot knife.

Little tiny crush and strain operation here but I use the paint straining bags available at the hardware store. They are durable, washable, large enough and tough as nails. I stretch the bag over a colander resting in a larger bowl, drop in the comb, crush with a potato masher and then set it in a warm location. The honey is nicely filtered. Then I can just take the bag up around the edges to the sink and wash the wax and put it in a ball and store till I am ready to use it. The paint bags are pretty fine. My honey comes out nice and clear and really pretty. They are tough and can take some squeezing and tugging without tearing like cheesecloth would. I used them for jelly making as well.

A "settling tank" can be nothing more than a (or multiple) 5-gal bucket(s) with a gate valve placed a few inches up the side. Pour into bucket, cover, come back later.