Default Pierco frames: Cleaning dirty or poorly formed combs for a fresh start?

I've got some several year old undrawn frames that went through a flood that that the bees just won't pull comb on. Also have quite a few frames with non-conforming patterns that make a mess when playing with the bees, and worse extracting.
    Any ideas on how to make these attractive again to the bees? Thanks.

Default Re: Pierco frames: Cleaning dirty or poorly formed combs for a fresh start?

You could scrape them and wash them off and reapply wax. The ones that have heavy wax buildup that obscures the embossing, I melt off with a heatgun and wipe with a rag. Then I use a fiber paint roller and a deep fat fryer with beeswax to recoat them.

Default Re: Pierco frames: Cleaning dirty or poorly formed combs for a fresh start?

Thanks for that, and heat gun is a great idea- will try and be careful to not get too hot!

Steam also works well.

I had a similar situation and found a simple solution that worked great. I got an old crock pot from the local thrift store for $2. Put in a big chunk of beeswax and melted it (takes some time in a crock pot). Then I took a small paint roller, dipped it in wax and rolled it on the Pierco frames. The bees loved it and started drawing them out right away.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A