Thread: Bees on Cotton

Default Bees on Cotton

Ok,
    I have moved my bees to an area where there is alot of irrigated cotton. I hear they should produce a decent honey crop from this, but my question is should I or do I need to provide them with some pollen sub? I have done some pokeing around on-line and have not found any thing about the cotton plants producing pollen.
    Thanks for the feed back
    Jason
    "It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Default Re: Bees on Cotton

not sure about the pollen sub, but i have read the honey from cotton crystalizes really fast. i had some cotton nearby last year, and my last batch of honey went to sugar in less than two weeks after extracting it. there was also a lot of goldenrod at the time, which may have been a factor in the crystalizing.

i decided i won't harvest honey as late in the fall for selling, but i might take a little and let it crystalize. i found that crystalized honey makes great patties for emergency feeding.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I put them out there because if I kept them around the house I would be feeding them syrup. I was hopeful other than making some honey they would make plenty of bees and I could look at doing some fall splits.
    "It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

I hear you can get a lot of honey dew off cotton is this T or F I do not know

BEE HAPPY Jim 134

In my experience the answer would be F. Been around plenty of cotton... and Nada....
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 07-07-2012 at 04:10 AM.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran