Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Is cardboard safe as a smoker fuel?

13K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  Scrapfe 
#1 ·
Are the inks and glues used in cardboard bee-friendly?

#2 ·
The glue is just paste made of starch;
Most inks used on cardboard are soy based and pretty benign.

Cardboard rolled tight makes a pretty good fuel.
Be sure to put green grass, or a little bit of rag from an old towel, or *something* in the top of the smoker to stop sparks and hot ash, and cool the smoke.

Have fun.
Enjoy your bees.

#6 ·
we started with cardboard, then used grass....finally ended up using pine needles...they are abundant here, and fire up quickly, produce lots of smoke (if you need it).....cheapest thing next to grass,but i tended to get grass that was too green, and cardboard is good,but too much work.....there's so much other work to do in this that we just went to pine needles as it is easier and smokes well

#10 ·
I use cardboard, but I don't use any with ink on it. I like to use double or triple walled, and I just cut strips the same depth as my smoker on my table saw, then roll them up as I need them.

#15 ·
American cardboard should be pretty safe. It is paper products made in Asia that contain formaldeyde binders for the paper layers and adhesive between layers. Recycled cardboard of course can contain a percentage of foreign cardboard. The bees will die anyway in a few weeks. It is the beekeeper that does not need to be breathing the stuff.
From the Canadian Health Department --
Formaldehyde (CH2O) is a colorless gas. It is irritating and has a sharp odour. Formaldehyde is widely produced around the world for use as a disinfectant and preservative. It is also used in textile finishing and in the production of resins that act as adhesives and binders for wood products, pulp, paper, glasswool and rockwool, as well as some plastics, coatings, paints and varnishes, and industrial chemicals.

#16 ·
Pretty much the inks are water based today as long as the cardboard is raw and not a laminated advertisement. The glue joints are hot melt and should be avoided. Cut the cardboard to size with a box knife, utility knife or sharp blade rather than a table saw to avoid breathing in the dust.

Work?:scratch: Cutting cardboard to the right length and rolling it up... Don't strain yourself.

#19 · (Edited)
We buy and sell nucs living in cardboard hives, keep bees in wooden boxes, (wood is cardboard’s raw material) and ever burn cardboards' precursor material, cellulose (grass, leaves, cotton, bark, and shredded wood) in our smokers. If cardboard is harmful to bees, am I the only one here who questions the intelligence of bee keeps?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.