Default Think I almost starved one of my splits

Checked on a nuc split this morning to see if I had a mated queen. No sign of her or newly laid eggs but I did find that the honey stores were completely gone. There were some bees that died half way out of their cell while emerging. Their tongues were hanging out. There was also one whole frame of eggs and 1-2 day old larvae that were completely dried up and dead. This was an outside frame. Not sure why I placed a full frame of eggs on the outside unless I thought it was just an empty drawn frame (new, yellow colored plastic from Mann Lake). I think I did not put enough bees in when I made the split. Therefore there was not enough to warm the brood, and no foragers. I think I both starved them and caused some chilled brood. I placed a full frame of capped honey in nthe nuc from one hive and a frame of brood along with its nurse bees from another hive. What do you think. I feel hesitant to feed sugar syrup because I had a huge problem with robbing a couple of weeks ago in one other hive. No signs of mites but I havent done an actual sugar roll test.
    USDA Zone 5B

Default Re: Think I almost starved one of my splits

Use a devision board feeder and feed.

OK I do have a frame feeder.
    Last edited by heus; 07-06-2012 at 01:19 PM.
    USDA Zone 5B

Capped honey frames is emergency feed for the bees, they have to uncap and dilute it to use it. Next time give frames of thin open nectar, it'll help them out much more as immediate feed.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Not sure how things are in Ohio, but here, not much coming in. I had it happen to me last year. A late split ran out or honey and the dearth sneaks up on you. This crazy weather, who can predict. Hopefully you caught it. A drawn frame sprayed with syrup to fill the comb would be refreshing to them I would think. I'm keeping a close eye on mine right now.

My other hives seem to be bringing in lots of nectar and pollen still. This nuc just didnt have enough foragers I think. I am going to feed in a frame feeder like Adam suggested. Ray thanks for the heads up on the capped honey.The virgin queen was either out on a mating flight when I was in the nuc this morning, or she was killed on a mating flight.
    USDA Zone 5B

LOL or you just didn't see her No offense, too many, including myself at one time, make assumptions like that, and do the wrong thing. If you can, ,,,add a frame of brood and wait. JMHO

Thanks Rick I am doing just that.
    USDA Zone 5B

Can't tell you how many times, I could not find and virgin or supposed to be mated queen. On one, it was less than 100 bees. No kidding. I looked and looked and looked. I got busy and came back a week later. There she was. Crazy Put her in a hive that needed a queen. They are doing great.
    Give it time before you make decisions. Most times, you have time, use it to your advantage. Hard lesson to learn sometimes.(for me anyway)