Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: I need tips for selling honey at farmers market

Here is a pic of our little honey booth. http://s203.beta.photobucket.com/use...G0221.jpg.html

We do a lot of the suggestions here. We have an observation hive, give samples, my wife made up little gift mugs with small honey bears honey candy and tea inside, she also had us shirts made up with our names, we ordered free pamphlets to hand out from the National honey board, and we are the beeks so I can answer most questions. The kids have really got into it and we enjoy it as a family and we are making some money.

The observation hive and the honey samples are big hooks! I have saw people go from not wanting any honey to buying a big bottle after they taste it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeslave View Post
    The same thing kept happening to me on a EauClaire CL.
    Beeslave, I was mad enough to right a letter (email) to craiglist and I complained profusely about someone having nothing better to do than to basically harass someone selling a few jars of honey or a couple colonies of bees. I stated that I knew that the intention was to prevent Kmart and bigger retail stores ect from taking over craigslist with add after add and we small little beekeepers are far from big commercial outfits. I dont know if I had any influence on them or not but it now says; "farm & garden - by owner (legal sales of agricultural livestock OK)" so I think or at least hope we can post honey and bees now without some jerk knocking us off.

What did they flag you for?

Great Thread - keep them coming!!

Not much I can add to what has been said already. Interesting - the enthusiasm is in all of the comments!
    - We have usually 4 types of honey for sale. All can be sampled.
    - We don't use any chemicals and this seems to be a point stressing.
    - We don't heat our honey
    - Our honey is sold in glass jars and we take empties back and pay a Dollar for it
    - Yes, stand and engage!
    - We use the labels from ML - " How do you know it is real honey if you don't know the beekeeper"
    - have something on display - information, a hive ( empty) and a display hive is brilliant if it works.
    -A label with a pleaseant look
    At some of the markets we have plenty of competition but we always sell enough to make it worthwhile.
    When we have Pecan Nuts available ( we are harvesting now) we offer 1/2 nuts to dip in honey and often sell honey AND nuts!
    At farmers markets we also sell vegetable seedlings, seed potatoes and garlic ( in season)
    It is possible to make $ 1000 on a really good morning.

I always wear a beekeeping jacket, this jacket is only for sales or when I give lectures
    Clean and White there is no mistaking that I am a beekeeper.
    I Think of it as a uniform.

mvh Edward

My farm is a mid sized vegetable "truck" farm. We raise Certified Naturally Grown vegetables to sell at area farmers markets. This year was the first year that I had any extra honey after what I ate, so I packed it into 6 oz. honey bears and sold it as un-filtered un-heated 100% pure honey for $5 each. Don't sell a lot of volume, but since I am already at the market I sell all that I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Colvin View Post
    My farm is a mid sized vegetable "truck" farm. We raise Certified Naturally Grown vegetables to sell at area farmers markets. This year was the first year that I had any extra honey after what I ate, so I packed it into 6 oz. honey bears and sold it as un-filtered un-heated 100% pure honey for $5 each. Don't sell a lot of volume, but since I am already at the market I sell all that I have.
    In our case it is the other way round - we sell honey, candles and Seedlings .....and vegetables if we have any surplus!!
    It works and makes a dollar.
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

Internet store will be the best way out

Any more ideas for selling at farmers markets?

Any more ideas for selling at farmers markets? Lots of great ideas

Daniel Y - I live over the hill from you. I produce aprox: 1,000 lbs for sale every year. My apiaries are on a farm that produce organic apples, oranges,
    berries, fruits and vegies. The site is at 1,500ft. Angels Camp, Ca. I am looking for an individual who would like to buy my crop at wholesale market
    price. In San Francisco I get $7 per pound....The buyers sell it at the markets for $18 per pint and $40 per quart!!!!! That's $160 per Gallon!!!!! Thanks Graham!!!
    Ya gotta love the good O'le USof A - If interested...Give a holler at applehollowapiaries@gmail.com.

FREE MARKET CAPITALISM IS THE ONLY WAY TO PROSPERITY!!!!!!!

Holiday, Technical advisor to the Pro Leisure Circut
    Last edited by Holiday; 02-10-2014 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
    In San Francisco I get $7 per pound....The buyers sell it at the markets for $18 per pint and $40 per quart!!!!! That's $160 per pound !!!!!
    California is sometimes on the leading edge .... or perhaps the bleeding edge .... but I'm not sure that math works anywhere!

Did you mean $160 per gallon?
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Yes....You funny guy...I be old man...thanks for the heads up! In my head that is still an excellent return on equity

Queensland Australia!!!! Lived in Byron Bay for a spell...Heard you blokes feed em' beer down under -

A few more points to add to the farmer's market selling question(s): Have a variety of quantities so that prices run from high to low. Someone who has only a couple of dollars might buy a small quantity and set off a buying frenzy if a crowd of looky-loos is just hanging around checking out the observer hive.

Also have honey-in-the-comb, or at the very least chunk honey in a cool looking jar at a higher price-per-mass unit. My most expensive per-unit item is certified organic honey-in-the-comb, and it goes the fastest.

Labeling the main nectar source (eg. sage, orange, avocado, buckwheat, tupelo, wildflower, etc.) helps turn customers into regular customers because they become educated connoisseurs.

Another lesson from experience - arrange your display so that people are crowded together. There is far more buying pressure in a crowd than when there is elbow space! I arrange my sale tables (or straw bales) in a semi-circle if possible, and have freebies to give to children of large families so they will stop and look, crowding and adding buying pressure to a few customers with elbow space. Trust me, this REALLY works.

You do have to be able to complete your transactions VERY quickly in a buying melee, so the educating is politely put on hold and the chit-chat is interrupted for Cha-Ching and making change (have plenty of change - maybe $200 even $300 or more if you are in a very busy area). Train your self and your sales staff to key in on this, and not to miss a sale, but keep the friendly faces on while scoring your "kills" ("kills" is a sales term for "sales").

Honey stands have stopping power to run with anything else at a farmers' market, especially if you daughter or wife (or employee) is a wholesome cutie (pay her off in her favorite good-girl rewards, whatever it takes). Lots of items and information add staying power, all of which can help sales. You could go so far as to read sales manuals, but the honey sells itself.

As far as samples - yes, have samples - and offer them on buttered biscuits cut into 1/4's. (I know, that isn't fair!)

IMG_240433928344442.jpg one of my stands at our Farmers' MarketIMG_358247147949059.jpg I always try to make my stand "stand out above the rest" I also promote the farmers' Market on my Facebook pages and others.
    Last edited by tomkat; 07-06-2014 at 09:45 PM.

I always give them a "taste" of what they are buying. A squeeze bottle that can drip onto (not touch) their fingers works great. If they taste it, 99% of the time they'll buy. Make sure you have some "wet wipes" for them to clean their finger (most of the time, it is licked clean!) Make sure you try & get the kids to try it also!
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

Oh, and some nice sayings/signs like....

"I trade honey for money" and "Buy ONE for twice the price and get the second one free," "All profits used to buy shoes for my wife," usually gets some laughs (after they figure out the second)...
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

or this one:

Mead, mead, the magic elixir!
    The more he drinks,
    the better the pitcher.

The better the batter,
    the longer the game,
    Let's all drink our way to the Hall of Fame!

The better the mead,
    the better the pitchin'
    so pay the price,
    and quit yer bitchin'!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123