Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: I need tips for selling honey at farmers market

I highly recommend an E-Z Up canopy. And that recommendation does not come from just me but from conversations for the past 8 years with hundreds of other penmakers. Nothing else comes even close to be as popular or as highly mentioned. Also be prepared with anchors for days with the wind blowing. It does not take a lot of wind to move a canopy around. Buckets filled with concrete make great anchors.
    A great way to find a good price on an E-Z Up is to watch craigs list for vendors that are retiring. You may also come across one through the grape vine at the market. Someone that just upgraded and is looking to sell there last one.

According to one link they start as low as $109 but you can also get all sorts of accessories for them.

Here is a link to one at Wal Mart
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/E-Z-Up-8-F...337750&veh=cse

You can use them with or without the side walls.
    Here is the link to the E-Z up site that will allow you to see all the models.
    the other services that are available etc.
    http://www.ezup4u.com/error.php
    and that is just from E-Z Up themselves. lots of aftermarket items are made to work with the E-Z Ups.
    Notice at the bottom of the links the Graphic service. You can get your banner or sign printed right on your canopy.
    Last edited by Daniel Y; 07-08-2012 at 06:07 AM.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Thanks for the easy up tip. I just bought a cheapo on sale at shopko for 60 bucks today. I will keep my eye out for a better one on craigs list of get one with my name on it later. Now I just need a 6' fold up table and cloth and got some bottling to do! I sure hope its worth it. At least I will get some time in the shade instead of sweating my but off lol!

A good Sign Shop or Print Shop can print your name on the Popup or make you a banner. The more you use it, the more you get a return on the investment, whether that pays for it or not. I bought one last year, invested $100.00 or so dollars, used it at two venues. Don't think that paid for it. Not that I am complaining and I am glad I didn't have to stand out in the sun and the rain.

Have fun.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

The E-Z Up canopies are good kit.
    Because of the amount of craft shows we attend, we decided to get a King Canopy Goliath.
    Its like an E-Z Up on steroids with a beefy frame.
    Make sure to get a canopy with side walls.
    It helps to keep the early or late sun from cooking you.

Here is our setup at a recent event.

529226_10151005066754711_1063153208_n.jpg

What you need to sell your honey? The beekeeper of course! Me selling my spring honey.

never sit...always stand, always smile and always engage the customer. Even if they are 10 feet out. Get in front of your booth and primp it when it is quiet. draws people in.
    Set up and take down are part of the biz. If you can do it in 10 minutes, you are not doing a good job. First impression is everything.
    Please and thank yous. Manners and professionalism. A love a passion for what you do.
    And as for your display, it will grow as you grow and it will also grow in the quality of display too.
    Look at those pop up gazboos, 10x10 or 12x 12. Walmart sells them for under 100. Then add a few tables. Use those 5 gallon picnic water pails with a handle to tie it down, one or two in each corner. If not those, then cynder blocks. But the blue water coolers stand higher and are more visible IMO

I do the bees.
    My wife does the honey.

Her secrets:
    1. She sells on an ironing board with a table cloth. Simple. And she is out front with the customers.
    2. Taster sample jar with plastic stir sticks. The taste will always sell the product.
    3. Target the kids, "Would you like a taste of honey." Get the kids and the parents can't resist. Give the half empty jar at the end of the market to whatever kid seems the most enchanted.
    4. Only retail your best quality honey. Sell the darker stuff wholesale.
    5. Sell in small quantities only. Our standard jar is 13.5 oz weight (or 9 oz volume). They use it up before it christalizes (sp?).
    6. A good name. Branding is everything.

We brand our product as high quality, table size jars; not the cheapest, but always the best.

"Met-How" Kraig

I am coming from the angle of the consumer.
    I need some reasons to buy this honey.. Tell me its local, natural.(hippies/yuppies)
    Maybe I would like to hear about any health benefits.(the people on bicycles and jogging)
    I would eat a cookie made with honey for samples(for the people who could use some jogging)
    And like sqkcrk said dot them on their way in to close the deal later.(I didn't even know I wanted honey until I ate some)

You cant make health claims unless you want to get in serious trouble. You can say "many say it does this or that maybe" but dont say it does or you ask for trouble!

I'll offer a taste of my honey and if they can taste it and not buy some, something is wrong with them , lol!

Do you advertise on craigslist?
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Quote Originally Posted by WI-beek View Post
    I'll offer a taste of my honey and if they can taste it and not buy some, something is wrong with them , lol!
    This is a practice I have used w/ honey and cantalopes. It sets up a recipricle relationship. Someone gets something pleasant tasting for free and they feel obligated to reciprocate by buying something from the person who gave them something. Some people don't feel obligated. They probably weren't likely to buy honey from you anyway. But what does it cost you to pass out samples.

Some markets may not allow this depending on the Health Dept. Rules and Regulations.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by Beeslave View Post
    Do you advertise on craigslist?
    No, when I did I got flagged every time and I got so angry about it I could have literally choked the people to death! Not worth the frustration for a few sales.

The same thing kept happening to me on a EauClaire CL.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Yup, I could not believe it. I just could not believe there are people like that , I honestly wondered if it was competition but there really was none.

Yup, I got flagged on Craigs too.

Offer a small (inexpensive) sized container. You'll be surprised how many come back to buy a pint or more later. The 2oz bears or 1/4 pint jelly jars are perfect for this. Filling these sucks but they can be worth the trouble.

Make or buy neat, professional looking signs. Nothing creates doubt about your product faster than sloppy signs.

I have found that (esp on) my glass jars if I attach my business card with some raffia (tie shoe string style), customers purchase not just for the honey, but think of it as nice gift also........particularly on the muth jars......... On the muth, I tell them that it will make a nice bud vase after the honey is eaten.

And as stated elsewhere ...Make sure that everyone understands "YOU ARE THE ACTUAL BEEKEEPER". I wear a shirt that says "Beekeeper" on it............

I must say I saw some real good ideas here and well thought out suggestions. I wrote articles for international magazines and find most of the ideas here are great.

Make sure and have bears, especially smaller 'kid sized' ones. All the children I know think they're the coolest thing and parents tend to indulge their kids...

The giving samples sounds nice and works well if it is an indoor event BUT if you are out doors, nothing will drive people away faster than having a bunch of hungry yellow jackets or hornets hovering around that open bear of honey or the drop that a kid lets fall on the ground in front of your table. I tried giving samples my first year and learned quickly to keep all the honey jars closed!

I had similar problems to hileal at first. I then switched to small glass pump bottles like you use for lotions or soaps. a single pump give about the perfect amount for samples and the honey gets sucked back inside and attracts little to no pests, I only saw 3 wasps in any of my booths this season. You will need to make sure you empty the bottles if you don't have a market in the next day or so as they will get gummed up with crystallizing honey. I work 6 markets that are outdoors and find my sales go up an average of 20% when I offer samples.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast