Default Hello from Colorado

I'm from Aurora Colorado and no we don't have a fire going in our neighborhood. Other than some red sun sets and hazy days we aren't seeing much of the fires - thanks for your concerns.

This is my second summer with bees, I built two topbars early last spring not sure where I'd get any bees. On May 5 2011 I called my son up who was at home and asked if it finally warmed up enough that maybe we could see some life in the yard. He called back saying nothing visible then over the next 20 minutes a swarm moved in to the yard and moved into one of my hives. That was a Thursday. On Saturday I was in the back yard watching my bees wondering what I was going to do next and saw a haze around the tree across the street. Another swarm was building in that tree. Jim the owner said he didn't want them and I could have them so in two days I ended up with two full hives. Not knowing what I was doing (like I do now?) the one hive got full of honey and split. The other hive was about a week behind it but I harvested honey and they never split. Ended up with about 6 gal of honey my first year.

This year, still the two hives and producing very little honey. I'll be surprised if I get to even taste any from this year.

Find yourself a good mentor and pay attention, it's not easy but it's not that hard either..

Default Re: Hello from Colorado

Welcome Brad!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome to the site!

Thanks! Learning lots of stuff, just reading and reading and reading. Glad I found this spot.