Thread: plastic frames

Hybrid View

Default plastic frames

When using frames with plastic inserts should you put more wax on them and should youspray them with sugar water?

Default Re: plastic frames

You can but it is not necessary. I have used thousands of prewaxed frames from all the major suppliers and as long as the bees are healthy, need additional comb space, and have either a nectar flow or syrup the bees will draw beautiful comb. There is also no difference between using black or natural colored foundation. Adding more wax will mean less wax the bees will need to produce. But in reality it is of little advantage.

Converting slowly over to all plastic inserts and we do not add wax. I did have one colony (out of the test dozen) absolutely refuse to build out on the plastic inserts, but most work them out fine. I didn't add wax onto any of the inserts, only what was pre-applied by the manufacturer. Have bought from Dadant & Mann Lake and I'd say the results were no different other than the one refusal.
    Don't confuse me with facts... my mind is made up.

The directions the manufacturer includes, sometimes the supplier does not - say to start them during a flow or feed sugar syrup untl they start drawing. I buy ten cases of 100 every year without any problem so far.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

I've done both, extra wax and just what came on them. I'd say most folks are right. The drawing is about the same. I still roll on an extra layer. Maybe it gives me a little peace of mind...or it's because I still have this huge amount of melted cappings that I use to roll on. I've got it, why not use it. But there MUST be a flow or a heavy feeding for them to draw!
    Last edited by theriverhawk; 07-05-2012 at 08:03 PM.

I spray all my frames with sugar syrup containing a small amount of HBH. They start building comb rapidly once their scents are on the frames. It at least seems to be that way. It doesn't hurt. I have a cheap pump garden prayer that holds on quart. Makes spraying the fames a breeze.
    0002615691308_300X300.jpg
    Klamath Basin Beekeepers Association: www.klamathbeekeepers.org
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/kbbafb/