Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Recommendations for solar electric fencing

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Keth Comollo 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,
Any recommendations for a solar powered electric fence? I have 4 hives near my home in an orchard, to far to run any electric. Just put out my first hives this week. Its a very small area for the 4 hives, just need something like 10x10. Any recomendations on brands or joule size? Or any alternatives to a fence?
Thanks!
Brian

#5 ·
You're going to want something with some power, 1 joule or more at least. A little all-in-one solar unit doesn't have that power. I use a 30 watt solar panel attached to a marine battery with a 12 volt fence charger, a Stafix. It will run on 12 volt or 120. But I'm using it for chickens. It may or may not have killed one.

For bears, don't use a regular electric fence, use a fence net like you can buy for chickens. A regular fence they can get through because they can poke their nose through without harm. A strike somewhere else is less of a problem. With a net, there's nowhere they can stick their nose through and not get hit. There are videos on YouTube where the bear refuses to charge the fence even baited with bacon.

#6 ·
I'm jinxing myself for posting this, but for the last couple of years we've had luck using a net and solar energizer from Premier 1. I can't afford to duplicate that setup in all of my yards, but will be able to use it as a model for the other yards with bear troubles.

#8 ·
hmmm.... it may be easier for my location for a 10x10 chain link fence setup. But i'm not sold yet. Is there any way to electrify a chain link fence? my hives are about a 1/4 mile from an power source, so i guess i could run a fence line down. Jusy liked the thought of a solar charged unit.

And what is the importance of the ground rods? Keth - 3 ground rods of 8'? why is the 3 better?

Thanks,
Brian

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.