Default First time Grafting, Need some tips, Using Cloake Board

Im just about to give grafting a try. Ive got a cloake board and plan on using it. Im only going to graft 20 to 25 larvae so could I get by with using a smaller hive to get the job done with the acceptance and finishing? Ive got plenty of bees if I need to gather up lots of nurse bees, but i dont need a large number of queens. The hive I have in mind to use has a full deep and half of another deep built out and they have good numbers for a hive that size. Would that hive do the trick on say 20 to 25 queen cells? I can arrange more bees, but this hive is at my house and handy Ive got other hives but they are mostly at other locations and I would rather just leave them to their business and use the one close to the house. I was also planning on maybe splitting that same hive into nucs when the cells are ripe. I think i read somewhere that you can just shake all the bees into the upper box with the cloake board closed off. All the nurse bees will remain in the upper box instead of moving up open brood to draw up the nurse bees. I think Michael Bush wrote that somewhere If I remember right. Im thinking the hive will be big enough to do the job, but really not for sure Opinions would be appreciated.

Default Re: First time Grafting, Need some tips, Using Cloake Board

one thing to think about, with the warm temps we have been having, I stoped using the cloake board, the lower part of the hive started throwing out many dead bees and couldn't keep the hive cooled while the cloake was closed and that was a hive in the shade.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

I quit useing that method. Just take a nuc and sweep (bee brush) about 5lbs of nurse bees (from brood comb) into a nuc with 1 frame of pollen, 1 frame of honey, and a frame of capped brood(all capped) and one empty frame(for them to drae wax on.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    one thing to think about, with the warm temps we have been having, I stoped using the cloake board, the lower part of the hive started throwing out many dead bees and couldn't keep the hive cooled while the cloake was closed and that was a hive in the shade.
    That is a good point I wandered how the temp might affect them. It is blistering hot here right now and actually there are not alot of drones around but I am still seeing some. I figured Id better raise me some now before this dearth gets any worse. I was actually thinking about looking in some of my hives and maybe just pull the queen on a big strong hive and graft some larvae and do it that way. Then introduce the queen back in later if I need too.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    I quit useing that method. Just take a nuc and sweep (bee brush) about 5lbs of nurse bees (from brood comb) into a nuc with 1 frame of pollen, 1 frame of honey, and a frame of capped brood(all capped) and one empty frame(for them to drae wax on.
    Sounds like a good idea. Because of the heat here right now it might be better to go another route than the Cloake Board right now like Wildbranch said. I may graft more than I intend on needing being my first time I mot not have that great of success. Ive studied on the subject for a long time, but I just dont have the hands on yet. I would like to end up with at least 15 queens. But if I only get 5 well that is fine too I will just do it again. Im thinking now is the best time I will have until next spring because we are in a dearth and it looks like it will just get worse.
    I think I will give your method a shot. Handling the nuc will be much easier and in this 100+ degree heat I think its just what I need to do.

well the above method works well, you can put cells in for 24 hours and then move them to a finisher and reload it, or just leave it as a finisher if you only want one cycle. I found with 5lbs of nurse bees they can start and finish 60 grafts with no problems.