Hybrid View

Default Top Bars "Pros and Cons" Presentation

I am a first year beekeeper and a KTBH beekeeper. I was asked to share my experiences with KTBHs with my bee club.

I've included the link to the presentation so if you want to use it by all means, go ahead.

Most all of the clear pictures are of my hives and the ones which are not as sharp are ones I downloaded from the internet. There are mistakes I know, but I tried not to make many. Like the picture with the bread knife is stuck too far into the brace comb (I had to do this to hold the knife as I took the pictures myself).

I also brought in a new KTBH as a display model for people to handle. It was well received especially as there were only three of us in the entire club who had experience with KTBHs. I had never met these two guys before so it was nice to become contacts for each other. I had several people ask if they could come by my place and take a look...which I'm glad to oblige.

I used info from Michael Bush's website, so thank you sir for all your wonderful resources! I have my notes from the presentation, so if this would help someone, I'd be glad to share this as well.

Here's the link to the Prezi website where the presentation is accessible. Hope you like it; I had fun creating it...

http://prezi.com/zoktonzgoeze/kenya-top-bar-hive-ktbh/
    Jack

Default Re: Top Bars "Pros and Cons" Presentation

Nice presentation.

That looks good, Jack. We (Greg & I) gave a similar presentation to our bee club earlier this week and it went over very well.

Super cool presentation. More cons than pros. Dont know why anybody would run these.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner Apiaries View Post
    Dont know why anybody would run these.
    Because it is fun to try new things.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 12 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

Don't know why anyone who doesn't run them would feel the need to make a comment like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner Apiaries View Post
    ...People will dump pkgs on foundation-less without feeding them thinking its a great idea, and one local here with a tbh didnt even take the cork out of the queen cage.
    Sounds like your friend is an idiot. I imagine if he had a Lang hive he still would have forgotten to unplug the queen cage. Maybe you should reevaluate that friendship It's at this point that you lost all credibility in this argument. Not to discredit your experience, as I'm sure it's more than mine, but every argument has it's place, and mostly here I just see a bunch of non-relevant arguments.

Here's my two cents: I read about beekeeping for 8 months before getting bees. Right off the bat I knew I wanted to start with something natural, and that I needed chemical free bees. Enter Beeweaver. Someone else mentioned it, but they've got my endorsement as well. My bees are doing great.

I started with TBH's because I wanted to be as natural as possible. Not for any green hippie beliefs, just because I honestly believe that centuries of evolution cannot be changed by a few decades of research with chemicals. The idea of letting the bees do what they believe was right appealed to me, so go foundationless. The cheapness appealed to me too, as I built my first TBH from scraps in the garage.

After committing to TBH, and working with them for a few months, I've quickly observed some faults. But I still appreciate the more natural appeal. My next venture will be on a foundationless Lang.

I've already acknowledged that is I were to go into commercial honey production or migratory pollination that I would have to go full Lang. But until that time comes, I'll continue to approach everything with an open mind. And by God, if I have to, I'll learn from my mistakes along the way. But anyone that flies off the handle and goes on one-sided rants on a public forum (that until now I really appreciated for a lack of such rants) will earn zero points in my book. The beekeeping community is a rare on indeed, where I've seen only generosity and helpfulness. Come on Skinner, don't ruin it. With all due respect, I've learned a lot about beekeeping in my three months of experience, and the number one thing I've learned, is that sometimes it's best to learn for ourselves, and not just follow blindly when told what to do. After all, our government tries to tell us all what's best every day, and almost always without fail, we argue back.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box now. But please everyone, be considerate of other opinions and beliefs before flying off on tangents on the forums. I'm out!