Default Thought for Saturday's heat

Anticipating 100+ real temp for Saturday, I bought some styrofoam boards and formed a gabled top/open ends for the hive; hopefully it will reflect/insulate from heat; hive is already painted white. anyone see a down side to this? - Mike

Default Re: Thought for Saturday's heat

I took my inner covers off today and added styrofoam boards to the sunniest side of my hives. I weighted them down with a short piece of plywood. If it gets windy no more bee shade.
    I also put watered dwon sugar water in my frame feeders. I had a gallon of 1:1 sugar water left over so I added two gallons of plain water to it and gave each hive a gallon of the mix. I don't really want to feed them but thought it would be ok for them to have a handy water source.

Probably no downside, but also not necessary. We've had temperatures as high as 109, and the bees have done just fine. Remember, bees are very adaptable!

Bees will be just fine at 109. At what point (temp wise) does the beeswax soften to the point of failure? I can see that being a REAL ISSUE for a TBH.
    One hive of mine is going through two cups of water a day.

Interestingly my tbhs don't beard whereas my warre and langs do. Even my small and weak warre beards.
    Not Michael Bush. My name is Dan. Sorry for the confusion.

I took off my suit and drenched it in the creek. That felt good but 11/2hr later was dry did it 3 times saturday

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    Bees will be just fine at 109. At what point (temp wise) does the beeswax soften to the point of failure? I can see that being a REAL ISSUE for a TBH.
    One hive of mine is going through two cups of water a day.
    That's my real concern. new wax + full of honey+ bees crawling all over the comb+ soft comb = heavy comb = deforming comb and maybe disconnecting, so I'm staying away except to keep offering them water until temperatures modulate. - Mike

I think that's the mistake I made: I went into the TBH on a really hot day, messed with the outermost comb and destroyed the brace comb. The entire comb fell off the bar (exactly when, I do not know), and I mean it was PACKED with honey. Heavy as heck. So, while the temps are so hot, I'm doing only the most basic of hive inspections, and not prying bars apart or lifting them.

The TBH I didn't mess with is doing just great comb-wise, even in the 100-degree temps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bush_84 View Post
    Interestingly my tbhs don't beard whereas my warre and langs do. Even my small and weak warre beards.
    'Round here, when it was so hot, everyone headed outside to the porch! Biggest beards I'd seen in years. Couldn't blame 'em, tho'.

Just glad that we put the hives under deep-shade trees where the slight reduction in temperature made it "barely tol'able," and where there was an ever-so-slight breeze even on a brassy summer day.