Thread: Confusion

Default Confusion

First ever package of bees installed March 30th. the girls have done really well and have comb on about 32/37 bars.
    I started them in the middle of the hive and moved one divider board along as they filled up the hive. When they started approaching that end of the hive, I added some empty bars within the brood section and pushed the other divider toward the other end of the hive. Later, fearing they would be over crowded, I removed both divider boards. During today's inspection, I realized that they now have stores at both ends of the hive. Not expecting to harvest from them this year, is there anything I should do now so they go into winter with consolidated stores?

BTW, I got to see newborn bees emerging today! Neat!

Default Re: Confusion

Sounds normal for a center entrance TBH.

It depends on your winter. If your bees cluster in the winter I would move the cluster to one end before the cold sets in. That way they can move to the other side. If they stayed in the center they would move in one direction and starve even with honey at the other side.
    Not Michael Bush. My name is Dan. Sorry for the confusion.

Before winter ensure that the brood combs are all at one and, and that the honey stores are all on the same side of the brood combs.

Otherwise when it gets cold, and the bees move one direction as the consume comns of honey, they may atarve when they come to the last comb on thqt side---even with many full honey combs at the other end.
    The won't go far looking for food whenit is really cold.

So don't give them a choice of directions. put it all on one side.

thanks!!