Re: Anybody ever work.. prisoners?
My experience with working inmates is not as the owner. but my employer uses them from time to time.
1. we are not responsible for them. they are supervised by guards.
2. they are assigned their work by the guards. the work we want done is requested by official means, all the paper work etc.
3. I don't think they are allowed or required to do anything that they could get harmed doing. beekeeping included. As one example inmates will spend all day racking up piles of litter and leaves but cannot be expected to burn it. they might get hurt int eh process of setting the fire.
4. the inmates are not allowed to talk to us. If we want them to do something specific we talk to the guards not the inmates.
5. They are good for nothing but pure mindless muscle work. if it requires any sort of care at all you don't want to use them. They would just as soon break a hive box than carry it and once they figure out they don't have to carry the busted ones. they will all be busted. And what are you going to do? have them arrested?
6. never leave anything of value in sight. 9 out of 10 will never be a problem but their is always that number 10. and if he doesn't take it then he will be back later to get it. or his friends will be along shortly. If possible allow them to see only the bee yard and make every indication bee yards are completely worthless.
7. they are not getting paid so don't expect much in the way of work.
8. nothing is free. if you can't afford to hire labor. you can't afford inmates. Nothing is free and you will pay one way or the other.
Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.