Default Paint can feeder for Nuc's

I was poking around at Home Depot tonight, and found that they stock epoxy lined 1 gallon new paint cans of the type that Mike Palmer uses to feed his nucs. $4.98 each. They are more useful to the nucleus raiser than the 1 gallon plastic tub as they will fit in an empty nuc shell.

Default Re: Paint can feeder for Nuc's

I made some up to get by in a pinch only downfall for me was I needed to have 2 in the hive to get them by until my next visit. That and the burr comb, I put them in my only hive that draws outside the lines and they went crazy.

I just put them on top of a migratory top with a 1.5-2" hole in it. No need to put them inside a hive body.

Ross, if my migratory covers were better (ie flat) I'd do that too. However, they're not and I have enough boxes now that I can spare a shell to keep the feeding more discreet. I was feeding last year with the plastic gallons and the feed hole, but I saw bees lapping on the outside and it made me nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    I just put them on top of a migratory top with a 1.5-2" hole in it. No need to put them inside a hive body.
    Same here. I only use a box to cover them up if I want a little nicer appearance which is the case with some yards.

Mike
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Quiney WI View Post
    Ross, if my migratory covers were better (ie flat) I'd do that too. However, they're not and I have enough boxes now that I can spare a shell to keep the feeding more discreet. I was feeding last year with the plastic gallons and the feed hole, but I saw bees lapping on the outside and it made me nervous.
    Depends on who you ask and where you are I guess. For me, telescoping tops are an unnecessary expense for zero additional value.

Actually Ross I'm not using telescopic covers on my nucs. I have a mixture of Plywood migratory covers, some with a little warp (hence the reluctance to drill any more holes), and 2" pink styrofoam rectangles. Both types sit atop a FBIC (feed bag inner cover).