Default Holding foundation strips in frames

I have been putting 1-1/2" +/- strips of foundation into wedge top frames by splitting off the wedge, inserting the wax strip, stapling the wedge back in against the wax and then melting wax onto the wax/wedge intersection.

I think that I read somewhere that if you didn't use some melted wax to glue the strip of wax into the frame it may sag down if it heats up in the hive. I am wondering if it is necessary to do this step of the process? The wax strip seems to be very secure in the frame if I try to pull it out. I am working in my basement shop that has a temperature of 65 - 70.

I have been using an electric soldering iron and just melting some foundation that I just squeeze by hand into a rod or cylinder shape and hold it against the iron. I haven,t burned myself yet but it is probably only a matter of time.

Can I skip the melted wax step and not have sagging strips in my frames?

Thanks,
    John

Default Re: Holding foundation strips in frames

Wax melting in the hive?? not a real problem..... as long as theres bees in there this is not an issue.

If you're using the wedges I wouldn't bother with the wax. With grooved top bars a wax tube fastener is handy.

https://www.dadant.com/catalog/images/M00778m.jpg
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Thanks for the advice. I guess that I thought the wax may soften up some and creep out of place. I will try the strips without the melted wax and see how it goes.

John
    Are your intention to use frames without foundation, foundationless? If yes, than, there are bunch of ways to show bees the direction you wish them to build the comb. Your approach is fine,no melting needed. Another one is a "popsicle" approach - some wooden edge for direction;another is a groove in top bar filled up with melted wax (attached waxed rope is a variation). I tried all approaches but yours (piece of foundation) - in my hands all of them works to some degree. It seems to me that "wax in the groove" frames (top bars) had better attachment of the comb to the top bar. Thus, I choose the groove filled with wax. But remember that everything in beekeeping works differently in different hands! Sergey