Thread: Odd Activity...

Default Odd Activity...

I'm new to Beesource and new to the Beekeeping Culture. Its good to met you guys!
    I started 2 packages of Italians in April and 2 Nucs of Russians in June. They are all doing really well considering they got such a late start. Lately we have been experiencing 100 degree weather and the girls have started bearding in the late afternoon...nothing odd about that, but on all 4 hives, the girls appear to be scraping or eating the exterior surfaces of their hives. Its not one or two bees, but all of them on the outside. They are not removing the paint or anything drastic, but they are all getting something from the surfaces. The only thing I can guess is that they are getting some moisture on the surfaces due to the humidity. Anybody seen this or have any ideas?

The only bad thing I can say about Beekeeping is that I should have started years ago!

Default Re: Odd Activity...

Washboarding, if you watch closely it would appear that they are scrubbing the hive. Mine do it a lot too.

I agree with your last comment, I have over 40 years in beekeeping.

Do a YouTube search for washboarding. I suspect that is what they are doing. I don't believe anybody truly knows why bees do it.
    Not Michael Bush. My name is Dan. Sorry for the confusion.

Very cool.
    I love Beekeeping.
    Learning stuff all the time.
    So interesting.

Mine were doing it when bored.... now that tons of stuff is blooming and I added the 4th deep, they got better things to do. Even in our heat no bearding and bees hauling in pollen and nectar......