Default Queens emerging early...

The last two times i grafted the queens have emerged early. the first time time only a day or so. This time this is how it went... I grafted very young larvae a week ago yesterday. today i went to move the cells into mating nucs and 2 of them had emerged. It should be day twelve since egg laid. I am reasonably sure that the larvae i grafted were indeed 24 hours or less old. very small, just in white jelly stage. by everything i have read, i should not have had emergence at this stage. Our temps have been 102, 105, 107, 105, for the last 4 days, is this the issue? Or am i missing something? I am still working on the jzsbzs cup still having royal jelly when emerging. They seem to be empty, but the queens i am producing are large and fat. and they once mated lay well! I am looking for consistency.
    Thanks,
    mike

Default Re: Queens emerging early...

I just read a post that had a link to Micheal Bush's Bee Math, he stated that heat (hot weather) does make a difference. While we are not as high as your temps, we too have a heat wave. I am checking my hives every two days for queens to hatch.

In REALLY hot weather I have seen them emerge two days early. In hot weather they typically emerge one day early. In cold weather I have seen them as much as three days late.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

My grafts have been emerging one day early for the past three weeks The first time caught me off guard, but now I just expect it.

Thanks for the replies ya'll. I would understand 1-2 days early, but grafting on a sunday, (day 4), and going in the next sunday (day 11) and finding them already emerging i must be doing something wrong. the first batch was just 1-2 days early, got it, but 4-5 early? Hmmmm. Of course i did go to school in the south, so maybe somethings wrong with my cyphering
    Thanks again,
    mike

If you can see the larvae they are too old...maybe they were a day or two old?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I made a split on Sunday june 24th at 8 am. I inspected the hive today at 11 am to make a split with cells, and one of the queens was hatching. It is in the upper 90's here. That hatch is a full two days early, made with larve that the bees selected.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Why would you be able to see eggs and not freshly hatched larva? If you can't see the larva how are you suppose to graft them? I know the last time I grafted all the ones I grafted were way to old, but grafting invisible larva seems pretty tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Maybe. Very small, had to use magnifier to see them. They were in milk stage and the smaller ones had no jelly with them. I tried to graft the smaller ones but could not get them off the grafter. I still have problems using the stainless type. I do worry about damaging the larvae when pushing it off with the chinese type.
    thanks

That's exactly the reason people use Royal jelly or yogurt to prime the cells-it makes transferring the larva much easier as they just slide off the needle into the jelly.