Thread: feed honey

Default feed honey

I have a gal of old honey i want to feed to my bees. What is the best way to do it?

Default Re: feed honey

I would put an empty deep box on top of your stack. Then, put the honey in a big bowl or pan and set it in that top box. You could have this box on top of the inner cover as long as the bowl or pan does not block the hole in the center. -js

if i put it in a bowl, want they get stuck in the honey? how thin do you put it? i do not mind putting it out side away from my hives but do not know how to keep the bees from landing on too thick of honey and getting stuck. i have done that. what is another way?

I mix mine with water and put it in a chicken water and set it away form the hives. By putting it away from the hives it's first come and does not induce robbing.

I put it in full strength and let them thin it down. They won't get stuck. At least not for long. -js

I guess i could pour some on 2-3 frames-foundation then lay them out away from the hives . i was thinking on the foundation gives a tuxture that may help them from getting in too deep in to the honey.

I like to feed it crystallized in a frame feeder or take a cardboard Fed Ex envelope and put the crystallized honey in that and cut a few slits and put it next to the cluster. Or you can liquefy it and feed it in anything you like except that you'll get a lot of drowned bees in the frame feeder then because they will get stuck in the viscose honey.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

can you mix with water like sugar? would 1:1 work and put in qt. jar, put on top of bee hive hole like feeding sugar-water ?

I just pour mine into 1 qt zip lock bags and cut some slits in the bags. Seems to work.

You CAN mix it with water. But it spoils VERY quickly. Honey contains sugar tolerant yeasts that will blossom at the first opportunity and thinning it IS an opportunity... IF you thin it I would only thin what I think they will eat in one night and feed it at night. The other issue is that it seems to attract more robbers when it's liquid and when it's thinned.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

is there something good to pout some honey on , laf flst , so the bees can eat eat it with out getting stuck? i was thinking about pouring some on 2-3 plastic foundations and lay them on a bucket 100" away. what ways have you done?