Default after the harvest questions...

After you harvest your honey and you place the frames and boxes out for the bees to clean things up where do you place them? Near a hive or away from them all. I ask b/c yesterday I placed 6 boxes with frames out away from all the hives and in no time there were bees everywhere on them and even some fighting was going on. Quickly they were aggressive. Usually they are not aggressive at all. How do you all usually do this?

thanks in advance,

Sully

Default Re: after the harvest questions...

I just posted a similar thread. Someone suggested placing them in a box above an inner cover. Bees apparently clean up the super above and move below the inner cover.

Put the supers back on your hives and let the bees clean them and hopefully refill them for you. Never let them rob.

I have always stacked mine up well away from the bee yard and let the bees clean them. No problems for me. I dont place them on the hives for clean up unless I had one for each hive and then only late evening.
    Charlotte Anderson - SC Master Beekeeper
    "Obviously, my bees have not read the same beekeeping books as me !"

Is your honey dirty? Store the boxes wet. If you have added no water, they will store without molding and the bees will move in faster when supers are again needed. I am glad my honey isn't so dirty I have to clean it up.