Thread: Pollen trap

Hybrid View

Default Pollen trap

Does anyone use pollen traps? I bought a couple of them and just want to know if I can use the pollen that I collect in the spring to make pollen patties

Default Re: Pollen trap

Excellent question - I was going to post a similar question. I presume if you freeze it it will keep, just not sure how long.

I have several, but not used this year. Pollen collected needs to be frozen or dried quickly. I belive you can buy commercial harvested pollen patties pretty cheap, and your bee collected pollen is more valuable retail. right now its running in the 10.00 a LB range!

I get 15.00 a pound for clean pollen!! Yes the cleaning is a little tedious but not a deal breaker..
    Honeydew

Spring collected pollen is fine for pollen patties for the next spring as long as it is frozen immediately after collection and kept frozen until needed. Beware of buying pollen for use in pollen patties. Most comes from China and has been found to have strange, and potentially dangerous, ingredients in addition to the pollen.
    Those of you selling pollen you collected need to check your prices. We sell ours for $8 in a four ounce jar and have no difficulty with price.
    Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, Inc. Manufacturers of round section comb equipment and Sundance Pollen Traps.

Thanks Loyd, the only numbers i had were wholesale!