Default Bad bottom board.

One of my hives has a bad bottom board on it. I guess the best way to install a new bottom is to take the top hivebody off. Take each rack out of the bottom hivebody and install them in a new hivebody. Then, take the bottom board off and install a new bottom board. put my racks back in where they were. Install the top hivebody back in place & install the inner lid & top. Is this the way I need to do this project. I thought I would do it when it cools off in a month or so. Thanks in advance for any advice. Tony,

Default Re: Bad bottom board.

If you have a bad BOTTOM BOARD, then you just need to remove lid, place on ground, start removing boxes and setting them on lid (angle each one to crush less bees) until you get to bottom board, then put new board in its place and re-stack boxes on new bottom. Not sure why you are suggesting needing to switch hivebody frames ('racks'?).

The reason I was thinking about taking the racks out of the bottom hivebody, is because like a knucklehead I installed 4 screws up through the bottom board into the hivebody. I used to do that. But I later realized if I had to take it off, it would make it harder.

LOL... gotcha.
    Folk who have to move hives use hive staples - basically a big metal staple you tap in the side to hold the body on the bottom. I don't see them much anymore, but very convenient.

That's what I've been using the last few years. I found some that are brass that go in 3/4". I've got cattle is the reason I like to attach the bottom board. Just in case they get brave enough to turn one over. They haven't yet thank goodness.

Lay the bottom box over on its back and remove the screws holding the rotten bottom board. Place bottom box on new bottom board. Fast and easy.

Thank you Roger. That would prolly be my best bet. Then I wouldn't be taking a chance on squishing the queen if she is in the bottom hivebody.

I am assuming you are concerned that the bottom board would give out and the hive would tip over. If this is the case I would screw a couple of 2x4's to the side of the first box for support and deal with it in the spring. For me, most likely this box will be empty.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I discovered one today that I need to take all the way down towns replace. The bottom board side is actually collapsing under the weight of the supers. I've been watching it all summer, but today I had to pry up the bottom box and wedge a stick in the opening - there was a traffic jam at the 1/3 of the bottom boat that was passable...

You have the same problem with your bottom board as I do. I cut me 2 pieces of 1"x2" blocks of wood. used a crowbar to raise the front up and stick the blocks in the front to keep my opening 3/4". My hivebody seems to be ok. This is a project I need to get fixed pretty soon.

IMG_0020.JPG
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnette Bros View Post
    The reason I was thinking about taking the racks out of the bottom hivebody, is because like a knucklehead I installed 4 screws up through the bottom board into the hivebody. I used to do that. But I later realized if I had to take it off, it would make it harder.

Next time drill a hole at a 45 degree angle at all four lower corners of the hive body and drive the screws in from the front / back

That way the bottom board is secure but you can take the screws out easily