Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Pretty smart, those bees!

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  heus 
#1 ·
In the shade!

Two weeks ago, with daytime temps in the high eighties and low nineties every hive in this yard had enormous beebeards. These three tristory nucs were the worst. Today at well over 100, in full sun….no beards.

Here’s the way I understand it. Beebeards are a collection of foraging bees who have no work to do…end of nectar flow, time of day…whatever. Rather than add their biological heat to the inside of the nest, they stay outside. Makes sense…right? Today with triple digit temps…they have work to do. They are collecting water. Those miniature tankers return to the nest and deposit water droplets throughout the hive. Other bees circulate air and the evaporating water actually cools the nest. Pretty smart those bees.

See less See more
#3 ·
If I had to guess, I'd say that humans figured out that evaporating water lowered temperatures a few hundred years ago. Bees have been employing that same principle for eons. Makes one wonder, doesn't it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.