Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anybody ever work.. prisoners?

As with any large labor intensive ag enterprise, I've got loads of unskilled work needs doing, and Good ol GOP has the illegal numbers down with the rhetoric. I did not enjoy hiring non locked up criminals before, but now I have ALOT of farm labor both bees and not bees, Im finding some of my neighbors are running prison gangs for a buck a prisoner a day. That's pretty good overhead if I dont get robbed or killed. So any experience with this? I'd like to add this isnt coffee klatch material, I am genuinely interested in other's experience with it.

Default Re: Anybody ever work.. prisoners?

Convicts do get out eventually.

Do you really want convicts to get a good look at your family/property and the family/property of your neighbors?

Do any of them have the required skills in the first place?

IMHO, you'll need to have a long talk with your family and neighbors beforehand.

However, it does present an opportunity to expand exponentially.

Having worked many years in a prison facility, I will tell you this, the recidivism (going back to jail after being released and committing additional violent acts) rate is over 60% for violent offenders. If I were going to hire prison gangs, I'd make sure they were convicted of non-violent crimes.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox OA Vaporizer,
    "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

If your talking about work release they get around 3 dollar an hour in NC. You also get some very nice tax breaks for taking part in the program.

The prisoners really want these jobs and its a one time deal, if they screw up they don't get another chance at work release. So they tend not to screw up.

Aren't they required to wear shackles when outside of prison grounds?

That might make beekeeping next to impossible.

Of course, if you could set up on prison property, it might make beekeeping feasible.

If you can't set up on prison grounds, then maybe using county property would at least keep the issue out of your own backyard.

I don't know how bees might react to the shackles on those convicts.

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    Aren't they required to wear shackles when outside of prison grounds?
    No, its called work release. They go out and work like normal people and then go back to jail when they are done working. Its reserved for inmates that have done a long stretch and are nearing the end of their time. They also have to have perfect behavior.

I think the whole idea is they can get use to public and earn some money before they are released.

make sure you know what the libility issues are and get them in writting.
    Prisioners all get free legal service where you will have to pay to defend yourself!
    Old Guy in Alabama

Treat them like people, not prisoners. Except don't be asking for trouble by showing them what they don't need to see. IOW, don't be showing them your coin collection or bragging about your nice stash of guns and ammo. Just use common sense and you should be alright. I am not the most experienced person in this area, but those I've dealt with were just wanting to get on with their lives and stay out of trouble. (though there is recidivism and these were non-violent types). -js

We have work crews from an "honor farm" minimum security prison come through our property to maintain the irrigation ditch. They always want to do extra work so they can stay out longer during the day. So I have had them cut and stack firewood or other heavy lifting around the place, has worked out so far. I dont let them in the house or shop. All have been polite and hard workers but I imagine they are hand picked for service in town.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner Apiaries View Post
    Im finding some of my neighbors are running prison gangs for a buck a prisoner a day.
    You may find this NC State document interesting reading. I don't think your neighbors are actually able to hire prisoners for a buck a day.

http://www.doc.state.nc.us/Publicati...10handbook.pdf

All inmates are expected to work during their stay in prison. The Division of Prisons has a variety of jobs at each prison to which inmates are assigned. Each prison depends on the inmates to operate the kitchen, to provide housekeeping and maintenance, provide labor to maintain state roads and to do the many other tasks that support the prison and other governmental agencies.
    Each inmate who works receives time credit reductions from his or her sentence. They also receive an incentive wage in the amount of $.40, $.70, or $1 per day, depending on the job they hold. Inmates working in Correction Enterprises prison industries can earn up to $3 a day.
    The section above does not pertain to those working for private companies.
    Inmates working in the Prison Industry Enhancement (PIE) program can earn a wage comparable to the prevailing wage in the local economy while working at a manufacturing operation inside the prison walls. Requiring inmates to work is an important part of prison life. It is an effort to teach good work habits and encourage inmates to work when they return to society.

Work Release Work release is a program that allows selected minimum custody level III inmates the privilege of having a job in the community while being in prison and to prepare them for their release from prison. Inmates on work release leave the prison during the day and return to the prison after their workday is over. Inmates on work release earn at least minimum wage and from this wage they must pay a portion of the cost of being in prison.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

hmm, didn't know that, two operations had told me they were getting them for nothing. if Im not going to beat min wage, whats the point in not hiring immigrants?

Each inmate who works receives time credit reductions from his or
    her sentence. They also receive an incentive wage in the amount
    of $.40, $.70, or $1 per day, depending on the job they hold. Inmates working in Correction Enterprises prison industries can earn
    up to $3 a day

I also see the PIE thing, not sure which one of those really applies, or how.

Quote Originally Posted by WillT View Post
    If your talking about work release they get around 3 dollar an hour in NC. You also get some very nice tax breaks for taking part in the program.

The prisoners really want these jobs and its a one time deal, if they screw up they don't get another chance at work release. So they tend not to screw up.
    Yes, I had heard they dont want to screw them up also, and tend to do pretty well

Must be George Bushes fault.

actually it's romney's and the current bunch. They're driving up labor costs

Aw, Dixie I worked you like a prisoner for a few days and the recidivism rate with you is 0. I reckon I worked you too hard with commercial beekeeping those few days, you did not come back. ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page. I have worked ex-cons from the federal system a time or two. They just want a paying job and a chance to make something of themselves. What happens is since eveyone is scared to hire them, they end up back in trouble because they could not adapt and make a meaniful living. Now having said that, you have to pick and choose who you hire regardless if they have been incarcerated or not. There are just as many bad apples out there in the world as there are behind bars. TED
    ALABAMA BEE COMPANY-A member of the Sioux Honey association -*Sweetening a golden tommorrow*

My experience with working inmates is not as the owner. but my employer uses them from time to time.
    1. we are not responsible for them. they are supervised by guards.
    2. they are assigned their work by the guards. the work we want done is requested by official means, all the paper work etc.
    3. I don't think they are allowed or required to do anything that they could get harmed doing. beekeeping included. As one example inmates will spend all day racking up piles of litter and leaves but cannot be expected to burn it. they might get hurt int eh process of setting the fire.
    4. the inmates are not allowed to talk to us. If we want them to do something specific we talk to the guards not the inmates.
    5. They are good for nothing but pure mindless muscle work. if it requires any sort of care at all you don't want to use them. They would just as soon break a hive box than carry it and once they figure out they don't have to carry the busted ones. they will all be busted. And what are you going to do? have them arrested?
    6. never leave anything of value in sight. 9 out of 10 will never be a problem but their is always that number 10. and if he doesn't take it then he will be back later to get it. or his friends will be along shortly. If possible allow them to see only the bee yard and make every indication bee yards are completely worthless.
    7. they are not getting paid so don't expect much in the way of work.
    8. nothing is free. if you can't afford to hire labor. you can't afford inmates. Nothing is free and you will pay one way or the other.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Kretschmann View Post
    Aw, Dixie I worked you like a prisoner for a few days and the recidivism rate with you is 0. I reckon I worked you too hard with commercial beekeeping those few days, you did not come back....<snip>...TED
    He ain't kiddin', guys. he worked me hard those 3 days but i learned a lot and Ted's hospitality is all southern. I'm ready again when you are, Ted - if I can tear away from all the work up here. -Js

As a young man, I worked at a garden center for a while. Each spring we'd have tractor trailers loaded with everything from mulch to flats of flowers and vegetables arriving. All had to be unloaded by hand. We'd bring in boys from a youth correctional camp to assist. It was cheap labor and these boys had incentive and opportunity to turn their lives around. They were always respecting, well mannered, and very hard working. Never any trouble. So perhaps something along these lines is a fine compromise, maybe not as cheap but also not a full-blown chain gang.

Wow, no wonder they are in prison up North. They can run tractors and equipment in Florida with little direction. There are few mindless idiots down here.
    We live in the center of several state and federal prisons so we see them every day. FDACS has beekeeping training programs starting in several of the Florida prisons starting with youth. We moved 6 state hives to Lancaster last week. We used to just manage hives on the prison farms for pollination. Now we teach a skill set.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast