So, I have several questions related to chalkbrood. First some background. Rcvd an over-wintered Nuc in early May. Installed in Deep same day. Within a week, started to see some dried brood on front porch, but thought it might be some old brood they had cleaned out from the 5 other frames I gave them. After another week of continuing to see more dried brood, I finally realized it was chalkbrood. (Had never seen it before). My research said that they will outgrow it and that it is thought to be caused by stress and possibly environmental factors as in moist environs with low circulation. Well, the weather had been like that for a week, and was going to be like that for another week - great!
So, the dried brood on the doorstep has continued, but finally we have some good weather. Every weekly inspection I had sighted the queen, and she was doin her thing. Big dark queen! I've read that sometimes one needs to replace the queen. So my questions:
How long do I give them, to out grow this?
When do I make a decision to pinch the queen, and why would that work if chalkbrood spores are prevalent everywhere, and certainly now in this hive.
Do I need to be concerned with sharing equipment with other hives, disinfecting hive tool, etc?
Would making a split, by pulling this queen and put in a nuc, and then adding a new queen to the old hive be a possible solution? Or would I now have two hives with chalkbrood?
Frustrated and looking for a way to turn this hive around. Lastly, should I notify the Nuc provider?
Thanks for your thoughts!!!