Hybrid View

Default Should I introduce a queen from a nuc to this possibly queenless hive?

Hi - I have a hive that had gone queenless that is located at a vacation home a couple of hours away. A couple of weeks ago I added a frame of eggs/brood to the hive. I have not been able to check on it since. Here at home I started a nuc on 6/3 using a frame with a queen cell from a swarmed hive and today for the first time I saw the queen in the nuc (no visible eggs or larvae yet).

I am going to the other home for the holiday and am wondering if it's worth taking the nuc up there with me in case the other hive hasn't yet made their own queen. Even if it did, she should just have hatched and would be a couple of weeks behind the queen in the nuc. I do have another hive up there so I can add another frame of eggs if they didn't make a queen from the first one. What is the best approach?

If I do want to introduce the nuc's queen, what is the best way to do it? I don't have any spare queen cages, nor am I familiar with how to handle a queen. I do have some of the screening for SBBs, so could make a press-in cage.

Thanks!

Default Re: Should I introduce a queen from a nuc to this possibly queenless hive?

The newspaper way is the best and if it's queenless combine the nuc and deep.