Default How are the hives handling the heat wave?

Will check on mine Sunday. 100+ heat of late here in NC.. hopefully the comb has stayed put... foundation-less.. 1 Lang.. 2 Warre's..

Curious to hear how it's going with this historic heatwave...

Default Re: How are the hives handling the heat wave?

It's gotten hotter every year for the past 5yrs. This isn't the honeybees first heat wave and without direct sunlight the comb should be fine. It takes some time to heat up the inside and they're drawing in cooler air at night to cool it down too.

Heat has not been a problem here but rain has. The bees were in their hives pretty much non stop for the last 5 days. Yesterday it cleared and I went through hives. All honey & pollen consumed. A little bit of fresh nectar and some bees bringing in pollen. Mostly sunny here for the next week and so I'll cross my fingers that the girls will find food for themselves. I saw pictures of hives four hours south of me with 6 supers on...

been toasty here in Texas and have been foundationless from day one and the comb holds up well JUST DON'T TILT IT, unless it is attached at the bottom. When it comes to global warming,, don't fear it, adapt

We had a monster wind and storm LN. Where I am was some what spared. No hives blown over. Had a friend check my out yard. Whew! I have some hives that beard/cluster to the tune of two to three lbs of bees outside. Some, not at all. Guess it boils down to population and what the bees need to do to get air in the hive.
    Pray for the folks that lost power in this heat, and to protect the ones that are working to restore it.