Default Need more advise

I have two hive, first one is doing great. My second hive went thru a lot of changes, went queenless for a short time (long story short my fault). Thanks to some great advise from here got them kick started but have been a slow go. I stated back feeding a week since ther weather have been dry, but stop because advise from my supplier he said they make become honey bound if I feed too much. I check them today there is lots of cap brood, but not much stored honey. My questions is should I start back feeding since there not a lot of stored honey? Next question is should I be concern about this hive making it thru the winter since they have not stored much honey. They are still in one medium super. Thanks in advance for you advise.

Al

Default Re: Need more advise

this is my first year, but i'll share what i've been told/read. in my area, at the start of the cumberland plateau in middle tennessee (similar to your climate, but not quite as cold in the winter), i am told overwhelmingly that my bees need 2 mediums for brood, and 1 for honey stores for overwintering, minimum. i would think that if you have lots of capped brood, you probably don't need to worry about becoming honey bound because they're using the space for brood anyway, they aren't storing much honey. somebody correct me on this, if i'm wrong. i had not been feeding until the 100+ temps/drought in my area hit. i am now, and haven't noticed any problems. just increased comb building. they had two boxes drawn out in each hive already. i was worried if they didn't have much to forage for that they might not get that third box done and filled up by fall.

I would start feeding as well,

If not, they will be hard pressed to have enough stores for winter.

Shane

I would say yes keep feeding until they get into the size hive you want them to overwinter in. Once they get that comb drawn out and have capped food reserves you can stop feeding. They are using everything you fed so far to raise more bees.

Thanks for the great information guy, will start back feeding today.