Default Stupid Question???

I am new to TBH. I know these questions are probably stupid but I really want to know..

1. How can I get some drawn comb for my new TBH?
    2. Could I place bars in my Lang hives and let them draw it out?
    3. Are the bars the same length?

I have decided to wait until next spring to start my TBH..So, I have plenty of time to get a jump start on the hive... Any suggestions ideas are welcome..

Default Re: Stupid Question???

You could attach the comb, there are a bunch of methods for that. Hairclips, rubber bands, frames around the bars, etc.
    is
    You could but they may not start drawing down in the center. if they start to one side it doesn't help you much. In a perfect world they would draw down from the center and once it got towards the bottom you could pull it out and put it in your hive.

There is no standard for top bar hives, everyone has their own opinion as to what is best. Mine are 19 inches so they can fit in a Lang, but you can do what you think is best.

One way that I have gotten the bees to start drawing comb on empty top bars is to take pieces of burr comb or doubled comb from another bar or frame and melt it onto the empty bar to get them started. Seems to work pretty well.

I went the other way, though...started with TBHs a couple of years ago and then started two langs this year with packages. I cut comb off of the top bar hives and melted it onto the frames for the langs to get them started...used some rubber bands for bigger pieces.

The bees will make a much better attachment once they start on it.

Most top bars and lang frames are not interchangeable unless you specifically design your TBH to be the right size for them to be interchangeable.

Good luck!

Thank you.. I have my TBH on order= will be delived on the 10th.. So, I wasn't sure what the lenght was.. I just robbed my Lang hives and have a large amount of wax, I was going to melt it and dip the tip of the 'V" in the wax and hope that would get them started...

If you put some comb on several of the bars to get them started, you won't have to deal with much cross-combing, as well. Saves a lot of time. I wish I had had some comb to use my first year, as I did a lot of cutting out of comb and melting back on to get them going straight. I didn't use guides on the bars, either, though, so it may not be as much of an issue. Some people swear by the guides and others think they are useless. Once you have several bars drawn out straight, they don't make a difference as far as I've seen.

NC Queen Bee,
    I am in moyock, NC (Northeastern corner) We will probably have similar issues with our hives.. And weather etc..
    So you are going to wait...
    Aren't you the one where the woodworker is building it for you? He is going to be very familiar with the hive so he may be able to come up with a sweet solution.
    I assume you already have a Lang hive?? Or him?
    If you can find out how big your TBH is going to be you could feasibly hang a few lang frames off of a horizontal top bar. (If they would fit) Skip every other one to help the bees build straight. then you could cycle the lang bars out as time went on.
    Don't fret too much on how or which method you use to attach comb to bars because the bees will fix it quick. I used rubber bands, talk about simple...Some of the comb was squished on the bottom where the rubber band dug in but, they fixed that and even chewed the bands off when they were done.

Keefis, I have 7 Lang hives (have had 10) right now. Just wanted something different. Yes, a woodworker is making my hive.. Might have to order another one, really excited about this one.