Default River crossing...

I’m hauling a handful of hives to the mountains to collect a bit of sourwood honey. I’ve never been to this property but directions seem straightforward enough. We’re about 8 miles down a narrow, bumpy, winding dirt road. The river crossing is supposed to be safe if the gauge says 2ft or less. It read 1.2. At mid river the deck of the trailer (and hive bottom boards) were submerged and the water was at the bottom of the truck’s doors. Too late to turn around we plowed on. I was sure the engine would flood….and we’d never get a wrecker out to this remote spot.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Default Re: River crossing...

Looks like fun!!!

Gotta love an adventure. Bet the bees didn't realize you provided floor mopping as part of your hive services.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

You have a war story!
    Thanks for sharing

Adam Finkelstein
    www.vpqueenebes.com

As you can see, all arrived in one piece…mostly. This all happened two weeks ago. The property owner has been up since and reports that the hives are still intact…bears haven’t discovered them yet. I will go up this week to check them and plan to take some extra supers…just in case.
    Keep in mind that these hives must cross the river again and if all has gone well they should be considerably heavier than they were on the inbound trip. The adventure continues.

Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards