Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Question ?

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  keswickb 
#1 ·
Hello all, live in mountains of Va. We have bears , so I brought Zareba ele fence.It can charge 25 miles of fence with 1 output joule .Will that keep the bears out of bee yard?

#2 ·
it might. do a search here for bear fencing and look at some pics. i run 5 wires, all close together. i have several ground rods and run all the wires hot. so far i think the flashing red light keeps them away as much as anything. i had black bear scat in my front yard this morning, but my hives (100 yards away) didn't get hit. there is also a tester you can use once your fence is up to make sure its plenty hot, and grounded properly. justin

#3 ·
#5 ·
It should work most of the time. Nothing works all of the time.

Get the fence up before bears come around. Otherwise, putting one up afterwards won't discourage them much.

I saw thousands of hives in Maine surrounded by Flexnet Sheep Fencing. I even touched one a cpl times. The zap didn't hurt but it made me react for sure. Not as hot a jolt as I recall single strand wire fencing of old. The point is to discourage the bear, not to hurt it. I think.

#6 ·
If the bear doesnt know whats on the other side of the wire your good. If it knows what a hive is no amout of electric wire will keep it out. that thick fur stops bee stings and insulates against electric it will walk right through the wire if it knows honey and grub are in the boxes.

#8 ·
If the ground near the grounding rod is dry you won't get a good ground. If you have clay and it drys alot of times it will even pull away from the rod and you wont feel a tingle. Old neighbor ran a well dry few years ago watering grounding rods to keep 600 sheep in fields... amazing how drought can effect things

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.