Default Summer splitting of brood okay?

I had an experienced beek out to check on my hives and she separated the brood in one of the hives. Can't remember the reason, but she said since the temps are so high right now that it was okay. Just wanted feedback on that. Still gets down to 70s or 80s at night.
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

Default Re: Summer splitting of brood okay?

It's important that you "remember the reason". Generally, you don't want to split the broodnest too early in spring when nighttime temperatures can result in chilled brood. Once that's not a concern, there are a number of reasons you may want to split the broodnest. Perhaps adding some empty frames between frames of brood as a swarm prevention measure, or moving some frames of brood to a newly-added box to get the bees to move up.

Default Re: Summer splitting of brood okay?

The temperature thing made sense to me at the time. But you are right about knowing the reason. I made a suggestion but then afterward I thought it might have been a mistake We put an empty frame (foundation only) in between some of the brood. It is a strong hive so my thinking was give them something to do. But then after, I thought about the drought and thought there is nothing they can use to draw out the frame (unless I feed). So then I wondered if that was a bad ideas and I shouldnt have done that. Is that a case of no harm no foul?
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment