Default double honey or double trouble

Hi Everybody,
    Queens are most likely coming tomorrow. Both hives under the apple tree were queenless. Maybe the crows are responsible. The crows drink from the same water source as the bees in the apple tree hives. Could it be that the crows are eating the mated returning virgins? One hive was requeened a few weeks ago and is going well.
    Here's the problem. Two queens are coming. Only one hive needs a queen. I am thinking of running a two queen colony. There are two deep brood boxes and also two shallow honey supers on the queenless hive. The honey supers are full. In fact one is capped. Can I put one queen in the bottom super, and the second queen in the second hive body and separate the two queens with the almost full honey supers? Will the two almost full honey supers act as a queen excluder. I was thinking of putting two drawn supers on top of the second brood box. Do I need to use a queen excluder if I put the two almost full honey supers in the middle?
    Thanks so much,
    linn

Default Re: double honey or double trouble

I would make a small divide out of the hive that has a laying queen and put in your ext queen because if the other hive has been queenless very lone it might not turn out. to introduce your queen in this hive i would do the push in cage

Hi Velbert,
    Thank-you for your help. I see what you mean. The other hive under the apple tree was queenless for a very long time. I ended up putting in a frame of partially capped brood. The next week I put in two frames of eggs. The third week I put in the queen and started feeding 1 to I saw her today. The queen is laying well.
    This other hive under the apple tree is a bit of a suprised. There is no brood. Well, I cannot argue with the facts. This second hive under the apple tree has been queenless for a long time.

Hi Velbert,
    I saw a piping virgin queen in that hive on 6/6/12. She was making so much noise in the bottom super. I guess she never made it back.
    Yes, I think your idea is good. I will try to make a push cage. I have a couple of extra empty nucs. I will do that as a backup.
    Thanks again,
    Linn

When was the last time you checked it? It sometimes takes a while for a virgin to get cranked up. I would do another check to make sure there's no eggs or brood before adding.

Hi Jadell,
    I checked yesterday. I looked at every frame both sides and even the honey supers. I spotted her on June 6th. How could she be ignored? She was making a bit of noise-that high pitched foghorn sound. She was running around on one of the frames in the bottom super. She was a queen but very small. It has been 23 days since she was last seen in the hive. When I looked yesterday there were no eggs.
    Well, it is not nice for the queen to return from her mating flight and find a queen in residence. In hindsight, yes, I should have put in a frame of eggs to see if the bees made a queen cell in 3-4 days. I put in a mated queen today.
    Thanks so much for your help,
    linn
    Last edited by linn; 06-29-2012 at 06:33 PM.