Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Money?

Default Re: Money?

No doubt the big continue to get bigger and they have done so in both good times and bad. It may not be what we like to see but it is a natural progression as bigger more costly equipment improves productivity and forces smaller farmers to make the decision whether to sell, rent or be a risk taker and reinvest. Those deficiency payments are just that, payments made when prices are deficient. You would get laughed out of your local Fsa office if you inquire about them today. Btw you can still put honey under loan there today for .60 per lb. any takers?

Ok i have a very embaresing confeshing to make. I wasnt goin to admit it. But after thinkin about and yall put all this time on this post i will share. I have wanted some bees sence i was a kid. At 39yr i had forgotjn about them. The other day i was in the checkout line and seen a beekeepin mag.. So i bought it. I was goin to have some bees!!!! After readin that each hive will produece 30 to 60 "GALLONS" of honey per year (i know! Its pounds not gallons) and goin over some figures i came up with... 5yrs i would have 36 hives, i would put $100.00 back for each hive( food, meds), 25% for uncle sam. And i would retire from the oilfield with $52,000.00 per year on my hives.;P sence i have found my mistake im back to getting 3 hives and just injoyin the bees

So now that im on the right track is it posiable to buy 3nucs a year, split the hives from the year before and have have a total of 45 hives at the end of the 4th year. Rent these hives to farmer john for $100.00 per hive, collect 3.3gallons per hive, put back 50.00 for each hive( for food and such) pay 25% taxes and walk away with $7,088.00? I guess i should mention i intent is not to sale in bulk but to sale one pint at a time for 6 or 7 dollars a jar.
    Last edited by Oneupsuperdog; 06-30-2012 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Miss spell

I dont have the beekeeping experience to answer your question.
    Can you break the numbers down a little further so that we can understand these numbers?
    Gas, truck, extractor , bottles , labels , laptop , quick books, accountant , package price,boxes, frames, bottom boards, lids, pallets ,etc. are these included.$1280.00 for packages + 4500.00 for equipment + other cost and four years of labor is a tough way to make $7000.00.

Why don't you try enjoying the bees for a few years and see how that works out before you make grand plans. I had them too, I was going to be a commercial beekeeper. Nine years later, I'm a civil engineer and an avid hobbyist. I think I made the better choice.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Ok let me just start over. First question. (how many times per year does a hive swarm?) or i might be needin to as how many starter nucs can be got out of one hive of bees per year?

Question two (is it posiable to rent bee hives to farmer for $100.00 each?

3rd question (can u get $6.50 per pint of honey?)

oneupsuperdog
    In the May 20012 Bee Culture issue the average in your state per hive is 64lbs or 5.3 gals. and the average retail price for 1lb is $7.09 Hope this helps. As far as the splits I'm in colder climate in VA and I wint from 4 the first year to 15 the second to 35 to 85 this year. The first two years bought bees but have bought n bees the last two. Also sold 10 nucs this year. You realy don't want to count on catching swarms, you want to split before thy swarm.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneupsuperdog View Post
    So now that im on the right track is it posiable to buy 3nucs a year, split the hives from the year before and have have a total of 45 hives at the end of the 4th year. Rent these hives to farmer john for $100.00 per hive, collect 3.3gallons per hive, put back 50.00 for each hive( for food and such) pay 25% taxes and walk away with $7,088.00? I guess i should mention i intent is not to sale in bulk but to sale one pint at a time for 6 or 7 dollars a jar.
    Probably not, but it's a good goal to set for yourself. The trick is to outpace the dieback.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

(how many times per year does a hive swarm?)
    Ask one question at a time, please.

Usually once, sometimes twice. Sometimes one will have Fall swarming.

Question two (is it posiable to rent bee hives to farmer for $100.00 each?
    Yes, it is possible. Don't ask me where and to who. Someone else is already doing it.

3rd question (can u get $6.50 per pint of honey?)
    Yes, you can. But you have to find and develope that market. It takes time and the willingness to accept getting turned down. But not giving up trying.

There is a lot to all of the questions you might ask at this time. More than you are ready and able to understand at this stage of your beekeeping life. Take baby steps. As Solomon said, "Enjoy your bees first." Then branch out into areas which you might like to try to profit from. Learn how to keep bees. Then learn what it takes to make money doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    Now it is an old man puttering and wishing I was young enough to start over.
    You are supposed to take what you know and get a younger man to do the work under your direction.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

You're still stuck in the 50's. Hard to find a young person willing to do hard work anymore.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    You're still stuck in the 50's. Hard to find a young person willing to do hard work anymore.
    I been trying to find a commercial guy for months!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    A young migrant worker would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Heintz88 View Post
    I been trying to find a commercial guy for months!
    For what?

We have people in the oil field that work HARD every day.

I'll add to my above comment. I live in ranch country, and I see hard working people all around me.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast