Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Who wets their bee suit before inspecting their hives?

Quote Originally Posted by ByronMO View Post
    How about wearing a "Cool Vest" over or under your bee suit. Some like http://www.uline.com/BL_8984/Cooling...FU2htgodmhU3ew you soak in cool water before wearing and others have pockets for ice packs.
    i would like to thank you ByronMO i work in a very hot plant and bought one of these vest for work. What a life saver helps keep me cool in 110 machine enviroment. And thanks to this thread i also bought a ultra breeze jacket LOVE IT AAS WELL, now i just have to combine the two on those hot hive inspections!

chris

I have a small pool in my backyard. I jump in with shorts and tee shirt on and then climb into my Pigeon Mountain vented suit. Feels like the AC is on the whole time!

Here in Vermont we only have to do this a few times a year though!
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

''''''' I wear it with a T-shirt and shorts and have had no problems. It is still hot, but it is the best I have found. I've never worn gloves, and the bees don't seem to bothe''''''''''

WHY PUT ON A VEST OR VAIL??????

I use a cool vest under the suit, it so warm in Las Vegas 108 at 8 am in the morning you will over heat so I used a cool vest under the suit it helpls a lot. I Also use a an ice pack under the bonnet when it really hot.. helps a a lot.

I have never wet my bee suit, came close to it a few times though I keep cool in the hotter days in summer by placing ice packs in my pockets

I use the Ultra Breeze. If it was wet (and I haven't tried that, but have considered it in the past) then it would be very cool and still be stingproof, where a canvas suit sticks to you and is more prone to stings.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Underneath the large mesquite tree, in the front of our property, where I keep most of my nucs and do my queen rearing, I've installed a fogging system. It only cost me about $800-$1,000 dollars, and I originally purchased it, intending to use it to help cool and humidify a greenhouse I was building. The greenhouse was going to cost too much to operate, so I put the greenhouse project on hold. Meanwhile I had already obtained the fogging system, so I thought it would be good to put it to use. I installed it into the branches of this mesquite tree, with the fog doing a very good job of boosting the humidity and dropping the ambient temperature beneath the tree. Since this is where I spend most of my outdoor beekeeping time, especially in our hot/dry summers, I thought it couldn't hurt to try this 1,000 PSI fogging system - it works very nicely. And is connected to an interval timer switch, which turns the pump on as often, and as long as I set it for. The timer also has a photo-sensor, which I engage to disable the system after dark.

My bee suit is; a long-sleeved T-shirt and shorts (sometimes swimming trunks), tennis shoes with white socks, and a very wide-brimmed hat, which I wear 24/7/365 whenever I am outside in the daytime (cloudy or not). I have charged garden hoses, with finger valves at their nozzle ends standing ready at each apiary location. I have used the hoses to wet down my T-shirts, periodically, and even with the fog going. And once I arrived just in time to put out a fire that had started from a smoker dump, three days earlier (one unnoticed ember - whew). Now I always use the hoses to soak the ashes from any smoker dumps, before they grow to raging fires.

So, my answer is, Yes I often wet my bee suit, and that can be a very refreshing and healthy choice.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12